Cheating Okay In Cake Competitions???

Decorating By jenniemar Updated 19 Mar 2012 , 4:50am by kimberlychapman

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 10 Mar 2012 , 11:55pm
post #31 of 33

This is what I don't agree with:
You didn't name the show or the competitor, but the cake community is pretty close and everybody knew instantly what and whom you meant.

You out and out accused her of being a cheater. You said, "I do believe the grand prize winner cheated." You owe her an apology for that.

She doesn't owe anyone an apology for asking a valid question. And I don't think we need to label cake decorators as Newbies. Everyone should be treated equal. Yes some of us have been decorating for years but we should look down on others who have just started the trade.

metria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
metria Posted 11 Mar 2012 , 12:26am
post #32 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweettreat101

She doesn't owe anyone an apology for asking a valid question.

I think this issue is being confused.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenniemar

I do believe the grand prize winner cheated.

is not a question. It's a pretty rude statement. The apology owed is for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenniemar

Is it okay to have someone make an armature for your cake?

is a perfectly valid question, and several answers have been given. I hope she does not feel sorry for asking that.

kimberlychapman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimberlychapman Posted 19 Mar 2012 , 4:50am
post #33 of 33

Here's the thing: when someone accuses another competitor of cheating in a public forum, that pretty much opens them up to criticism themselves.

*Nobody* is upset about asking a question about armatures. I clearly said that I'd already addressed that very question with the show committee. That's an entirely valid question and it's being addressed.

But accusing someone of cheating and then hiding behind a pretense of anonymity isn't okay. Actually, it's potentially libellous. It could cause damage to the show, the judges, and the competitor. Don't toss out accusations without some serious facts to back it up and without being ready for blowback.

Don't want to be criticized publicly for your words? Don't use words inappropriately against others. Glass houses and all that.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%