Solid, Firm Buttercream Recipe!?

Baking By Amsy_1201 Updated 12 Mar 2012 , 8:43am by sweettreat101

Amsy_1201 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amsy_1201 Posted 8 Mar 2012 , 1:00am
post #1 of 3

I have a wedding cake due at the end of the month - the bride is providing me with the cakes, so I just have to decorate them. Usually when making cakes, I use a chocolate ganache, as I have found it is the most stable, versatile base for my fondant. However, the bride has informed me that the cakes are going to be carrot, banana, red velvet and chocolate - Obviously, choc ganache will not suffice for all of these flavours! I attempted a buttercream recipe on a cake the other day and the whole thing collapsed in a most unattractive fashion - please help me with a recipe that will hold its shape!?

2 replies
karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 8 Mar 2012 , 11:30am
post #2 of 3

Can you not use a white chocolate ganache? I think those flavors will go quite well with that.

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 12 Mar 2012 , 8:43am
post #3 of 3

Can you get hi ratio shortening where you live? If you can it will make the most stable frosting for decorating. I use 2 lbs powdered sugar, 1 1/2 cups hi ratio shortening, 1/2 cup salted butter, 2 tablespoons clear vanilla and 1/3 cup water or non dairy coffee creamer. Cream together the shortening and butter until fluffy. Add remaining ingredients and whip until light and fluffy. Make sure you make enough frosting so that the beaters are covered while mixing this helps keep air bubbles out of your frosting. If you can't get hi ratio shortening then you can use store brand shortenings that still contain trans fat. I frost my cakes and let them sit for fifteen minutes then I smooth out any imperfections with the paper towel method. If I am covering the cake with fondant I place the cake in the fridge to chill just to firm up the frosting a little. All of my fondant cakes have a nice layer of butter cream. Most people I know don't care for fondant so I like to make sure they have a nice frosting underneath. For a firmer frosting just use less liquids in your frosting recipe you can always add more.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%