Smarties Cake - Tips Needed

Decorating By BigBlackBird Updated 5 Mar 2012 , 10:00pm by BigBlackBird

BigBlackBird Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BigBlackBird Posted 4 Mar 2012 , 9:22pm
post #1 of 4

Hi everyone,

I have a cake order, to recreate this cake http://www.ferriscakes.co.uk/blog/index.php?itemid=297

In terms of using smarties, any types how to make sure the numbers look right etc? Instead of 21, i am doing 30 on mine.

And roughly, how many hours would you estimate it would take me to put them all on.

Many thanks in advance

3 replies
Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 4 Mar 2012 , 10:48pm
post #2 of 4

I would be inclined to draw it on paper first. If smarties are 1cm across, then your 3 and 0 need to be 4cm wide. Fill your drawn numbers with smarties to see if it looks right, and tweak as necessary.
In the comments of that picture they say it took them around 6 hours to stick them on...

melanieferris Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melanieferris Posted 5 Mar 2012 , 7:41pm
post #3 of 4

It did take 6 hours to stick the smarties on. The lady that works for me did a four hour stint and then I took over to finish. It was a large cake though. I draw the number out on graph paper, cut it out, coat the cake in ganache/buttercream and then draw round the template. You need to work quite quickly as the smarties won't stick once the buttercream has dried. If you do it in sections you can paddle the buttercream and then stick the smarties on, then move to the next section.

BigBlackBird Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BigBlackBird Posted 5 Mar 2012 , 10:00pm
post #4 of 4

Thank you both for your reply, especially Melanie. Really starting to worry i don't have the skill to do this cake.

I have been given free reign to do anything i want, as long as it feeds 30 people but seriously think i may need to rethink.

Argh!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%