Need Help With How To Get Started In My Home Baking Business

Business By SheliaRenee Updated 28 Feb 2012 , 7:57am by scp1127

SheliaRenee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SheliaRenee Posted 27 Feb 2012 , 12:06am
post #1 of 8

I have been on the internet looking everywhere for the restrictions on selling cakes out of my home, but I haven't been able to find very much. I live in Lauderdale County, AL. I am not sure if I need a license to do this or what. I know of one other woman who just recently stopped doing cakes out of her home. She actually did my wedding cake about 7 years ago. I was told she didn't have a home license. She has done cakes for all kinds of local businesses and just about everyone I know. I'm not sure if I need to have all of this stuff done before I continue with my cakes or not. I just recently started doing this and I've already got a ton of cake orders for the next few months. What would you do?

7 replies
bernerluv Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bernerluv Posted 27 Feb 2012 , 12:54am
post #2 of 8

Try doing a search on your government website. I checked first w/ the department that handles restaurant inspections in my state (NC). They sent me to the food & agriculture dept which handles home based business in NC and they told me everything I needed to know. My business partner and I both have pets so we can't do any baking out of our homes, unless I remodel my basement. We have opted to rent commercial kitchen space by the hour as needed for now. Hope this helps!

SheliaRenee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SheliaRenee Posted 27 Feb 2012 , 1:08am
post #3 of 8

Ok, Thank you!

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 27 Feb 2012 , 1:33am
post #4 of 8

Try this link. It's the most up to date list on various state cottage food laws. There is a link at the bottom for AL

Blueridgebuttercream Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Blueridgebuttercream Posted 27 Feb 2012 , 1:37am
post #5 of 8

In my experience (here in VA, at least), it can be difficult to find things on the government websites unless you know the proper legal jargon for your state (home-based food processor, Cottage Food Law, etc).

In desperation I ended up using the contact email for the Dept. of Health. They replied very promptly and pointed me to the right department (Dept. of Ag, here). I was pleasantly surprised at how helpful they were, so if you can't find it with google, try contacting them directly.

wespam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wespam Posted 27 Feb 2012 , 12:25pm
post #6 of 8

Hi, I'm in Morgan CO in AL, Hartselle, area. PM me and I will be happy to share what I know, Pam

bluedaisies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bluedaisies Posted 27 Feb 2012 , 6:46pm
post #7 of 8

Good luck! I'm not sure if AL has a Cottage Food Law or not. But here in FL we do, and it's VERY difficult to find anyone that can answer any questions about it. I finally got a hold of a live person in the Ag department that was able to answer some questions. Hope you have an easier time with it!

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 28 Feb 2012 , 7:57am
post #8 of 8

Just call or make an appointment with your local HD. You can also ask them for the application. All will be there.

Quote by @%username% on %date%