Beware....the "happy Married Cake" Scam Is On Agai

Decorating By cakelady2266 Updated 24 Feb 2012 , 7:09pm by AZCouture

cakelady2266 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelady2266 Posted 24 Feb 2012 , 6:05pm
post #1 of 6

I got the email earlier today. Some of you may remember this from last year and the year before. But for you new members it goes like this: you get an email stating "in urgent need of a cake decorator." The "customer" needs a wedding cake in 3 weeks for 300 guest in different cake flavors, different fillings, iced in buttercream and fondant with roses and needs to have "Happy Married" written on one of the layers. Cake should be packed in boxes and ready to be picked up by 11:30 March 9th.

Several bakers and bakeries have been scammed by this. It's another one of those I'll send you a money order, which will be for more than the cake and you refund the difference to the person picking up the cake, sort of scams.

I couldn't resist responding although I know better. I said I would happily do the cake for cash only in advance and I deliver the cake. Wonder how quick they will be getting back to me?

5 replies
jgifford Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jgifford Posted 24 Feb 2012 , 6:31pm
post #2 of 6

Little bit of a stinker, aren't you? icon_lol.gif Be sure and let us know if they respond.

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 24 Feb 2012 , 6:51pm
post #3 of 6

Oh they will. I told a similar scammer I needed a Fed Ex check for $50,000 to arrive within a few hours, addressed to a plice department detective, and they wrote back and said it would work for them. So they really don't readwhat you write. They're just hoping to get any response at all, because that means there's still a chance you might fall for it.

brenda549 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brenda549 Posted 24 Feb 2012 , 6:53pm
post #4 of 6

Yeah, I go that one, too. I quoted them $6,000 for the cake plus a $1,000 rush fee. Of course they agreed. Then I received the "add $973 to pay for delivery and pick up." I then said I can only take payment for my services to see if they would keep on. I haven't heard back.

The one before this one didn't even get it when quoted an outrageous amount and "cash or check that has cleared your financial institution." He still spent $12-20 to overnight a bogus check to me and sent me directions to take it to MY bank.

My husband and I think everyone should drag them on up to the point of them spending the money to overnight the bogus payments. If they keep spending $12-20 to overnight the bogus payments and never see a return, then maybe they will get a clue. Then again, they are probably using stolen credit cards or fed ex account numbers to pay for the overnight payments.

cakelady2266 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelady2266 Posted 24 Feb 2012 , 7:09pm
post #5 of 6

I just don't get these folks. In the length of time it takes to work these scams, they could have done an honest days work.

These "orders" are so unrealistically worded, they scream scam. Most average bakeries or bakers aren't going to ship a cake or have large cake picked up. You certainly wouldn't ship it in several different boxes to have the customer assemble it. If you can assemble your own cake you can make your own cake. They could have at least gone to the trouble of saying "happily married" instead of "happy married."

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 24 Feb 2012 , 7:09pm
post #6 of 6

http://www.419eater.com/html/trophy_room.htm Join that site. See how much fun you can have scamming the scammers!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%