Help, How Do I Respond To This E-Mail?

Business By karukaru Updated 26 Feb 2012 , 9:34pm by SweetTzippy

Amberwaves Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amberwaves Posted 24 Feb 2012 , 5:56pm
post #31 of 38

I own a retail bakery and my response is always cut and dried, never personal. I have learned to develop a very thick skin when it comes to customers like this. If they don't like my prices or the way I do business, they can shop elsewhere. It really is as simple as that. I don't look at their responses as a personal attack on me or my products because it isn't. My response would have been:

Thank you for your email about a cake for your event. I do offer more basic cake flavors and designs than the highly specialized cake design and flavors you inquired about. If you would like to see that pricing structure I would be happy to talk with you. Thank you again for your inquiry.

Best regards,

Such and Such Bakery

Rawxy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rawxy Posted 24 Feb 2012 , 7:20pm
post #32 of 38

hahahaha love the last part! I would def...keep it.!

Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar

"Thank you Karina. I will send this over to my sister for review (as she is hosting). From what Peri said, I expected you to be a lot more affordable being that you make cakes from home as a side business. Are you licensed to have a functional kitchen for selling cakes at home? Some of your "competitors" with stores/bakeries charge less. Not to take away from your work or anything."

Dear Karina,

Yes, I'm fully legal to sell cakes from home based on the cottage food laws that we have in our state. I can't speak for other people's pricing, but mine reflects the time and care, as well as the premium ingredients, that I put into each cake. I understand if it's not within your budget, and I'll be glad to help you if you ever need a premium cake in the future.

You might have more luck with Walmart if you're looking for something that will be appropriate for your level of class and sophistication.

Well, okay, maybe you should leave out the last part
icon_wink.gif

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 24 Feb 2012 , 7:43pm
post #33 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amberwaves

I own a retail bakery and my response is always cut and dried, never personal. I have learned to develop a very thick skin when it comes to customers like this. If they don't like my prices or the way I do business, they can shop elsewhere. It really is as simple as that. I don't look at their responses as a personal attack on me or my products because it isn't.

You're right, because if you keep it dry and don't try to explain yourself, just state the facts, it will take the wind out of the complainer's sails. Don't take the bait.

SweetTzippy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetTzippy Posted 24 Feb 2012 , 8:11pm
post #34 of 38

@Karukaru, after all the suggestions given here (I think they are all fantastic!), would you share with us what was your reply to the email?
Thanks!
icon_smile.gif

LoveMeSomeCake615 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LoveMeSomeCake615 Posted 25 Feb 2012 , 3:11am
post #35 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeItGood

For some reason, that line from the movie "RV" flashed through my mind ... this client sounds like a "big ole rollin turd".

icon_lol.gif I LOL'ed! Thank you, I needed that laugh!

QTCakes1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
QTCakes1 Posted 26 Feb 2012 , 8:07pm
post #36 of 38

You know what gets me about people complaining about prices? They are going to a CUSTOM cake person. They know they are asking for CUSTOM work and flavors. WHY are they going to a CUSTOM vendor who is making a CUSTOM product and then shocked when the cake comes with a CUSTOM!?! Yup. That's what I can't wrap my mind around.

QTCakes1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
QTCakes1 Posted 26 Feb 2012 , 8:14pm
post #37 of 38

OH, and I NEVER discount. Why? Cause even when you discount and they know you give them a discount, they STILL will complain about the price. If I have to hear the complaining I might as well get paid in full. icon_wink.gif

SweetTzippy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetTzippy Posted 26 Feb 2012 , 9:34pm
post #38 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by QTCakes1

OH, and I NEVER discount. Why? Cause even when you discount and they know you give them a discount, they STILL will complain about the price. If I have to hear the complaining I might as well get paid in full. icon_wink.gif

Agreed! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%