What Qualifies You As A "not A Morning Person"

Lounge By MariaLovesCakes Updated 26 Jan 2007 , 4:04am by mbalis

MariaLovesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MariaLovesCakes Posted 23 Jan 2007 , 12:20pm
post #1 of 36

I am wondering if I am, but want to hear what you think a "Not a Morning Person" is like.

I get up in the morning, dragging my feet a bit, but not unpleasant or grouchy. Once I get going I am okay, but I am not too thrilled about getting up early in the morning. But that's the extent of my morning mood.

How about you? Is a Not a Morning Person supposed to be more unpleasant like moody, upset, not talkative, etc?

And morning people, do they always get up cheerful, happy, talkative?

35 replies
shelbur10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shelbur10 Posted 23 Jan 2007 , 1:01pm
post #2 of 36

I am "not a morning person". I get up mad every morning. Once I'm awake, I'm okay, but every single time the alarm goes off I get a surge of anger. My DH hates to even wake me because I'm such a bear. Once I am up and showered, I can recover a decent mood, but I don't really get rolling until mid-morning. I don't know what morning people are like, my whole family is a bunch of grumps in the morning icon_surprised.gif I love my sleep, I don't think I get enough of it, and I resent the heck out of anything that will interrupt it (even going to work). icon_rolleyes.gif

MariaLovesCakes Posted 23 Jan 2007 , 1:04pm
post #3 of 36

Alrighty!!! I get the picture!! icon_biggrin.gif

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 23 Jan 2007 , 1:07pm
post #4 of 36

Noon = morning
your energy level increases as it gets darker.
you'd rather sleep in the day and party/work all night.
(hmm...are we related to Dracula?)

Monica0271 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Monica0271 Posted 23 Jan 2007 , 2:04pm
post #5 of 36

I am sooooo NOT a morning person. I get up draging. I get up at 7:25 (snoozing for 40 minutes icon_redface.gif) yea EVERY morning. I am OUT the door at 7:45. I do not talk in the mornings. I am just silent. I have to get ready in lighting speed because if I dont I feel like I will fall back asleep. I am not fully awake till about 10:30 - 11:00 am. When I get to work I am just plain sleepy.

At night am totally different. Even when I am sleepy I feel in a good mood.

Thats why I am NOT a morning person.

MariaLovesCakes Posted 23 Jan 2007 , 2:19pm
post #6 of 36

Mmmm, I want to hear more. I am starting to think that I actually AM a morning person. I don't like getting up but I am not so bad after the first half hour. My energy comes a little bit after that and am ready to do my morning work out by 9:30am.

By the way, I do weights and aerobics and rather do them in the morning to get them out of the way.

cakerator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakerator Posted 23 Jan 2007 , 2:52pm
post #7 of 36

MarieLovesCakes: I think you might be a morning person! Congrats! icon_biggrin.gif

I really wish I was a morning person but I never have been and, despite the fact that I have a little one, I don't think I ever will be. I love the night. I could easily work a different shift at any job. Once it's bedtime, I can sink right into watching my tv shows or working on a cake... or reading about cakes icon_biggrin.gif
I don't go to bed until at least midnight and thats because I force myself to go to bed in order to get up at 7:30am. Thank goodness for a smiling little face when I go in to get my angel because otherwise I'd be such a grouch. (my DH gets the brunt of that on the weekend mornings icon_lol.gif )
I basically just push through the first hour or two until I can get into the shower and start my day.

adven68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adven68 Posted 23 Jan 2007 , 3:23pm
post #8 of 36

Just DON'T ever wake me up when I'm sleeping. Otherwise, I'm just fine in the mornings! icon_biggrin.gif

mbelgard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbelgard Posted 23 Jan 2007 , 3:34pm
post #9 of 36

My younger brother qualifies for this. He can sleep through 6 adults and 4 kids in the same room making lots of noise if it's before about noon.
He had trouble even when he was a little kid with mornings, my mom would have to wake him up about 5 times to get ready for school.

MariaLovesCakes Posted 23 Jan 2007 , 4:29pm
post #10 of 36

Now that Cakerator mentioned the kids, I think that did it for me.

I could never get up when I was younger before 11:00am or 12:00pm on the weekends. I got up early during the week because I had to go to work.
icon_rolleyes.gif

But on the weekends, forget it!!!

I have two young girls that have changed all that. My eldest is 8 and the youngest is 3. The both liked to get up early and of course, I had to get up with them.

So, eversince, I can't sleep passed 9:00am or I ge a HUGE headache.! icon_surprised.gif

Ironbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ironbaker Posted 23 Jan 2007 , 4:39pm
post #11 of 36

Monica said it all for me. I used to not really talk much until 10 or so but I've gotten better. I'm usually still a bit sleepy through most of the morning.

I am ALIVE at night. I'm such a night owl. It's very hard for me to get to bed before midnight, no matter what time it is I have to get up in the morning. I do my best work late at night. I go to the gym late - no crowds!

One of my friends is more of a morning person. We've did a girls weekend to Vegas and Chicago a few times and I swear she wakes up and picks up where she left off talking the night before. icon_lol.gif We're all like "give us an hour, please!"

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 23 Jan 2007 , 4:43pm
post #12 of 36

I consider myself a morning person. Maybe by default because I am not a night person. I am so tired at night. I put my kids to bed early so I can have a couple of hours in the evening to myself. Now I am not saying I like to get up early, but by the time I walk to the bathroom I am pretty much awake and ready to go.

I guess I think of "not a morning person" as people who press the snooze 500 times, dont talk to anyone until they have a cup of coffee, are grumpy in the morning or who dont like to talk, like to sleep until noon on a day off. Not necessarily all of these traits at the same time! But that is just my perception!

Monica0271 Posted 23 Jan 2007 , 5:01pm
post #13 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by merissa

I guess I think of "not a morning person" as people who press the snooze 500 times, dont talk to anyone until they have a cup of coffee, are grumpy in the morning or who dont like to talk, like to sleep until noon on a day off. Not necessarily all of these traits at the same time! But that is just my perception!

icon_surprised.gificon_eek.gificon_lol.gif Thats ME-to the "T" !! icon_lol.gif Thats funny cause I have TWO alarms, one is set for 6:40 I hit snooze until 7:25. The other one is set for 7:00. I hit it until 7:25 or when ever the other one goes off. I stay up as late as I can, usually around 11:00. I have to make myself goto sleep.

On Friday nights I stay up late & wake up Sat morning late. icon_lol.gif

I HATE MORNINGS!!! icon_lol.gificon_cry.gificon_lol.gif

shelbur10 Posted 23 Jan 2007 , 5:25pm
post #14 of 36

LOL, Monica, I've got you beat, I think...I actually set 4 alarms...starting at 5:30 - I actually HAVE to get up by 6:10. Most of the time I don't even hear the first couple of alarms, I just turn them off in my sleep. I have to use my cell phone so I can keep changing the ring tones to 'surprise' me. I also set my clock in the bedroom 15 minutes fast in a sad little attempt to trick myself out of bed.

MariaLovesCakes Posted 23 Jan 2007 , 5:51pm
post #15 of 36

Oh, my goodness you ladies are too much with this alarm thing....

My husband has the alarm set to ring at 6:00am. That's when I get up. Then it is set up again to ring 10 minutes later. That's when he gets up.

I get everyone going in the morning. I have to call my 8 yrs old daughter like 5 times, before she finally gets up.

I am staying home right now but I don't go back to bed when everyone is gone which is about 7:15am. I could and sometimes I do but by 8:00am I am ready to get out of bed and continue the day....

icon_smile.gif

heather2780 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heather2780 Posted 23 Jan 2007 , 7:06pm
post #16 of 36

Iam not a morning person at all my husband gets up and hour before me and he hits the snooze on the alarm like 5 times and takes a shower i sleep through it all I atually gave my son an alarm clock when he started first grade this year and he gets up with that amazingly i manage to hear his alarm clock from the room down the hall icon_biggrin.gif but once he is up you kind of have to switch into morning person mode after all there is breakfeast to be made and lucnh to pack and clothes to lay out and a walk to the bus stop so you dont really get the option of being cranky unless i want him to be in a foul mood all day because of my crankyness. of course it is a whole different story if i get the oppurtunity to take a nap during the day if i get woken from that i'am a grump the rest of day and the family knows to stay clear. so for there sake i just aviod day time naps no matter how tired i am.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 23 Jan 2007 , 9:20pm
post #17 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug

Noon = morning
your energy level increases as it gets darker.
you'd rather sleep in the day and party/work all night.
(hmm...are we related to Dracula?)

Amen!

My hubby is one of the dreaded morning people and I'm not. He likes to get up early and go to breakfast. I say let's sleep in and go to lunch! icon_eek.gif

When we paint a room in the house, he wants to get up at the butt-crack of dawn and get started. I say let's start about noon and pull an all nighter if we have to! party.gif

After we were first married, he comes tip toeing into the bedroom on a Sunday morning and gives me the little shoulder shake, saying, "Honey? Honey? Are you going to get up and make breakfast?" I slowly and with great effort peel open one eye and tell him, "Are you kidding me? It's only 9:30 in the morning!" icon_eek.gif

I hit my snooze alarm a minimum of 7 times. And don't give me that lame reasoning of "just set the alarm for later". That's not the point. If you think it is ..... then you are NOT a morning person! thumbs_up.gif

cocorum21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cocorum21 Posted 23 Jan 2007 , 9:24pm
post #18 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by adven68

Just DON'T ever wake me up when I'm sleeping. Otherwise, I'm just fine in the mornings! icon_biggrin.gif

I didn't read the whole thread I had to stop here. For some reason my DH feels the need to wake me and tell me when his favorite team won or some other crap that really doesn't interest me. Why? I have no idea!
About a year ago I made it a house rule that no one is to wake me unless:

1. the house is on fire
2. someone in breaking in the house trying to kill us all
3 someone is dead, or near death (sick doesn't qualify)

As for being a morning person I am the complete opposite! I don't want to talk. Just leave me alone.

cocorum21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cocorum21 Posted 23 Jan 2007 , 9:27pm
post #19 of 36

I just wanted to add my DH IS a morning person. and that's enough to drive any nonmorning person insane. He wakes with a clock radio and starts singing along with the music icon_cool.gif How dare he be so d@mn happy in the morning!

icon_biggrin.gif

Monica0271 Posted 23 Jan 2007 , 9:45pm
post #20 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by cocorum21

I just wanted to add my DH IS a morning person. and that's enough to drive any nonmorning person insane. He wakes with a clock radio and starts singing along with the music icon_cool.gif How dare he be so d@mn happy in the morning!

icon_biggrin.gif

OH MY this is hillarous!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_cry.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif How can someone be so happy in the morning icon_confused.gificon_rolleyes.gif I am NEVER that happy in the mornings. Not even on vacation.

galliesway Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
galliesway Posted 23 Jan 2007 , 9:59pm
post #21 of 36

I hate the alarm clock! I just wake up in a grumpy mood and it's best not to talk to me until I have had a cup of coffee and had time to adjust to the morning. i'm good to go then.

Kelley

XoGuitarChefoX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
XoGuitarChefoX Posted 23 Jan 2007 , 10:15pm
post #22 of 36

oh goodness! im not a morning person either and i have school @ 7:35, so i have to get up around 6! i hate it, I am sooo quiet in the morning until i have P.E, which is my 2nd class, after that im usually talktive and awake. but i guess wat wakes me up in the morning is a workout!
Natalie

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 23 Jan 2007 , 11:22pm
post #23 of 36

I had a job that I had to be at once at 6, you guys would have died! Actually the last job I had I had to be there at about 6:45. Plus i had to get up my 2 boys and drop them at day care first, we had to leave at about 6:10. Good thing I am a morning person! icon_lol.gif

Dordee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dordee Posted 23 Jan 2007 , 11:26pm
post #24 of 36

I probably do qualify as a morning person. I love to get up around 6 a.m. sometimes and start cleaning icon_confused.gif I know I am so warped! I can get up and immediately start cleaning or picking up things. I usually hit the floor running so to say. The only thing I do not like in the morning is if my hubby has to get up really early like 4 a.m., I do not like for him to talk to me when I am still trying to sleep. I only mumble my replies and he has learned to deciper (spelling?) what I am mumbling. I don't open my mouth at all to speak and we can still have a conversation. If I open my eyes and speak then it's all over. I am wide awake. I know i'm so weird. icon_rolleyes.gif

Ironbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ironbaker Posted 24 Jan 2007 , 1:32am
post #25 of 36

I used to hate going on vacations as a kid sometimes. My mom gets up SO early (5) and will just open up the blinds in the hotel room. Ahh! I felt like a vampire.

My boyfriend is a morning person too but also a night person. Don't ask me how he manages but he can go to bed at 3 and get up at 8.

The only time I get up is on vacation. Let's go!

MariaLovesCakes Posted 24 Jan 2007 , 1:40am
post #26 of 36

What really amazes is the people that get up at 4:00am to exercise!!! I couldn't do it! Now that's where I draw the line!!!! icon_lol.gif

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 24 Jan 2007 , 2:46am
post #27 of 36

It depends on what time I went to bed and how well I slept if I'm a morning person that day or not. In high school I use to have those whind-up alarm clocks since the power went out in our area real easy. I broke so many of those clock by just chuking them across the room to turn it off because I couldn't see clearly enough that early in the morning to shut it off! ....so I broke the clocks to make them quit ringing!!! icon_redface.gificon_lol.gif
Then for a whole year I use to wake up at 5 am to go run anywhere from 4 to 16 miles a day and weight train before I had to shower and get ready for classes that was almost an hour drive away. I guess that's why when I joined the Marines it didn't bother me waking up early to run because I was already conditioned for it icon_lol.gif

Now is a different story! I ENJOY my nice warm bed in the morning and prefer not to get out of it for any reason at all! Too bad I have to get up at 6:30 to get ready for class and get my DD ready for school. I don't know how many times I've thought about calling in to school saying I was sick and then calling my DD school to say the same just so I could go back to sleep! (I haven't done this yet....but I think about it often)

shelbur10 Posted 24 Jan 2007 , 2:53am
post #28 of 36

Okay, I do have to admit that even though I am NOT a morning person (see my previous post), I am also one of those freaks who will get up early to exercise. At one point I was really into my workout routine and I would get up at 4:30 every morning to do it because it was the only way I could ever find the time to do it. icon_eek.gif

I don't do that anymore... icon_rolleyes.gif

baker4life Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
baker4life Posted 24 Jan 2007 , 2:54am
post #29 of 36

I definately AM NOT a morning person.

I cannot be bothered for a while once I wake up & I' tend to get crabby.

I like to be "in the quiet zone" while I'm driving to work. My co-worker calls me alot while I'm in the car & I "accidentally" turn off my phone because I really don't want to hear her voice in the morning, & she is always disgustingly happy!
Yuck, too much for me in the morning!!

Give me until 10 or 11 and I'll be okay.

And DO NOT WAKE ME UP! I will be grouchy all day and make your life & everyone around me miserable!! icon_wink.gif

j9morabit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
j9morabit Posted 24 Jan 2007 , 9:37pm
post #30 of 36

I haven't read the whole thread, but I am cracking up at the last few posts! icon_lol.gif

My husband is a morning person, and while it is a little irritating to hear whistling and singing while I'm trying desperately to get my eyes to stay open, I'm more jealous than irritated. I have never been a morning person, but I want to be be sooooo badly. Is it possible to become that way?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%