Cookie Dough

Baking By graciesj Updated 23 Feb 2012 , 4:40am by cakesrock

graciesj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
graciesj Posted 17 Feb 2012 , 2:49pm
post #1 of 4

Hi everyone. I have a wedding shower n wedding coming up and their requesting lots of cookies. I would like to know what the rule is on freezing cookie dough. I have about 6 different types of cookies for each occasion about a month apart and would love to get a head start on them. However, I need to know if I could freeze the dough and for how long I can do this ahead of time. The dough I'm talking about would be chocolate chip/raison oatmeal/peanut butter/chocolate/red velvet. There's another one but I cannot think of it! I would appreciate some in put please. Thanks a bunchicon_smile.gif

3 replies
scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 18 Feb 2012 , 2:38am
post #2 of 4

I'm an artisan baker, so I don't freeze for long term. When I have huge cookie orders, I still make the dough about two days in advance, refrigerate, then shape and freeze. The freezing is usually only a few hours or a short 6 hour overnight stay. There is plenty of information on the web concerning freezing and crystalization. Some ingredients freeze better than others.

In most products, freezing for longer than a few hours will result in a slightly diminished quality in a product. Even flash frozen seafood suffers from the best freezing method. It still does not compare to fresh. It is up to you to determine if it is noticeable and if it is worth it for your recipes and your bottom line. For me it is not. The only product I freeze, and again only for a few hours is cheesecake. I like the texture better.

If you plan on taking large orders that will require freezing because you are working alone, you will just have to test your recipes.

graciesj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
graciesj Posted 18 Feb 2012 , 3:59pm
post #3 of 4

okay thank-youicon_smile.gif

cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 23 Feb 2012 , 4:40am
post #4 of 4

I'm simply a hobby/home baker and freeze everything. When I have left over NFSC dough I freeze it for up to 3 months and it's just fine. I also freeze baked and decorated cookies for 2-3 months.I also freeze all my cakes. I put the goods in containers, then put 2 plastic garbage bags over the containers and try to get as much air out as possible.The cakes do get a bit more moist but I like them that way. But like the previous poster noted, some things freeze better than others.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%