Honest Opinions And Question..

Baking By dmfan71 Updated 12 Feb 2012 , 2:18am by CakeItOrLeaveItHon

dmfan71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dmfan71 Posted 11 Feb 2012 , 10:46pm
post #1 of 3

thanks to those who responded to my karate cupcake thread..it helped a lot.

here is the finished product. Materials cost about $20 to make 36 cupcakes and my time was 5 hrs....lol How much would you charge for cupcakes like this? And do you think they are good enough to sell? I am thinking of starting to do this on the side since I am on maternity leave..just through friends, etc.

thanks for all the tips/help!
Michelle
LL
LL
LL

2 replies
jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 11 Feb 2012 , 11:07pm
post #2 of 3

We would probably charge in the $4/cupcake range, making the order total $144, but we are in California so that price takes into account commercial kitchen rent, inspection fees, licensing, insurance, etc.

If you are in a state that allows you to legally sell homemade cupcakes then you might be able to get away with less, but you would still need to include things like liability insurance, marketing costs, accounting costs, etc. in your pricing decisions.

CakeItOrLeaveItHon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeItOrLeaveItHon Posted 12 Feb 2012 , 2:18am
post #3 of 3

These are very cute! I am home based as well, and I would charge about $50 -$60 for these, based on your costs. I never pay as much as you did ($20) to make cupcakes though, you should shop around for better retail prices if you plan to do more of these. I'm always on the lookout for cupcake liners on clearance and cheaper fondant and boxes. Good luck icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%