Cake Pops Problems

Decorating By PaulineG Updated 11 Nov 2016 , 2:54pm by jenng2385

PaulineG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PaulineG Posted 11 Feb 2012 , 2:01pm
post #1 of 30

Hi There,

I have tried making cake pops 3 times now, and every time I have the same problem. I use Wilton candy melts to coat them, but after a while, grease starts to drip out from the bottom of the cake pop. I am assuming that it's the butter from the cake or buttercream. Has anyone else had this problem, or have any advice for me?

Thanks
Pauline

29 replies
Serena4016 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Serena4016 Posted 11 Feb 2012 , 2:42pm
post #2 of 30

Yes, that has happened to me and probably most people that have made cakepops at one time or another. Are you using box cake mixes? I do not have that problem when I use scratch cake. So, it must have to do with the oil added into the cake. Also, make sure the cakeball is completely coated so there is no way for the oil to leak out...that being said those little suckers do have a tendency to crack. I admire people who can make these perfectly round, smooth, non-blemished cake pops. They are NOT as easy to make as they look!!

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 11 Feb 2012 , 4:02pm
post #3 of 30

It has never happened to me after hundreds of cake balls. I always use doctored cake mixes, so I doubt it's that. I DON'T use icing or creamer in my cake balls, so I'll bet that has something to do with it.

myxstorie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
myxstorie Posted 14 Feb 2012 , 7:55pm
post #4 of 30

I use frosting to hold my cake balls together, and I've never had a problem with oil or grease :/ I've heard people have issues with oil when they use Wilton candy melts to make modelling chocolate; are your cake balls getting warm? The most likely culprit does sound like oil in the cake mix though - the first ones I made were from a cake mix, and sat in mini cupcake wrappers instead of on sticks, and when I lifted them up after a day or so they'd left small, oily marks on the paper casing (as I'd only covered the top/sides). If you're making your own mix it could also be from the amount of butter in the cake, if you're using any more than usual?

cookiekisses Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookiekisses Posted 14 Feb 2012 , 8:31pm
post #5 of 30

I think that the amount of frosting called for in the recipes for cake balls is way too much and makes them sploochy and not appetizing. I use only enough frosting to hold the crumbs together; I use a scant tsp. at a time. I don't have a problem with grease.

Cakery2012 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakery2012 Posted 14 Feb 2012 , 8:42pm
post #6 of 30

I made tons over christmas. I only had a couple get greasy . Im.not sure . But I believe it was the coating didnt completly cover the bottom and oil or butter pooled and leaked out .I baked them.all from scratch . I dont know why maybe they did get warm ?

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 14 Feb 2012 , 8:50pm
post #7 of 30

If you just use cake you won't have that problem. Just knead and squish your cake until it's the consistency of cookie dough. It takes a little while and you want to use cake that's been dried a little. At the bakery I worked for this is how she made cake balls and they were the most popular thing she sold. Trimmings off other cakes work great for this. It makes a very dense rich ball of cake that's not too sweet. We would use meatballers to portion and then roll smooth.

lyndim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lyndim Posted 14 Feb 2012 , 8:56pm
post #8 of 30

Diane, what do you use to hold your cake together? I only Use a tiny bit of icing and sometimes I use a liqour (bailys) but only enough for the cake to bind together.

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 14 Feb 2012 , 9:55pm
post #9 of 30

I'm kinda protective of my recipe since I've turned so many of my customers and friends into cake ball snobs. They only like mine. icon_smile.gif

But, since I first learned of this technique at a DOS, I feel a sense of obligation to pass it on.

The secret ingredient in my cake balls is melted chocolate. I'm going to respectfully refrain from giving quantities or instructions. icon_smile.gif

LoriMc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LoriMc Posted 27 Feb 2012 , 11:49pm
post #10 of 30

I made them once and I had a similar problem. It wasn't grease, but the actual cake portion that seeped out around the lollipop stick. It happened after the candy coating was hard.

So, if you do a 9x13 amount of cake, how much icing is correct to add? Also, I noticed Bakerella uses cream cheese icing a lot. It's ok to use buttercream, right?

dlphnmomva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dlphnmomva Posted 28 Feb 2012 , 2:45pm
post #11 of 30

I have never had this problem but i also just use enough icing to get my cake like dough. and i make sure the whole thing is covered. i use butter cream as well, works great.

LoriMc Posted 28 Feb 2012 , 2:55pm
post #12 of 30

Thanks for replying! I have a lot of cake pop questions, and I really haven't found a good reference source.

So does anyone add flavoring to the white candy melts? My customer wants creme bouquet flavor for the pops. I'm going to do creme bouquet cake, with buttercream for the inside. I guess I will just use the white candy melts plain?

If you do want to flavor candy melts, will regular extract mix in, or will it seize up?

Corinne77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Corinne77 Posted 28 Feb 2012 , 2:56pm
post #13 of 30

I've had this problem before and find it has nothing to do with using icing, which I always do. For me, it was using cake recipes that have oil in them. I only bake from scratch - never use box recipes. I have just adjusted my recipes - I use butter instead of oil. It takes a little tweeking to get the perfect flavor, but it has helped.

Also, make sure the cake pops or cake balls are cool when you're dipping them - not too cold or the chocolate will crack once it dries. You can leave them in the refrigerator and take a few out at a time while you're dipping. I put them all on parchment paper on a large cookie sheet, then sit the cookie sheet on top of a pan full of ice. This way I'm not running back and forth to the fridge. Works great!

Good luck!

Corinne77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Corinne77 Posted 28 Feb 2012 , 2:58pm
post #14 of 30

I would flavor the cake - not the candy melts. I make peppermint flavored cake pops over Xmas and they turn out amazing with the extract in the cake mix. (Just a tiny bit!!)

jgifford Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jgifford Posted 28 Feb 2012 , 3:07pm
post #15 of 30

Candy melts can be flavored just like anything else - - just make sure you're using oil-based flavorings, not water or alcohol based.

Scratch or box doesn't matter. If you coat your pops completely, everything is sealed inside and you won't get anything leaking out.

LoriMc Posted 28 Feb 2012 , 3:11pm
post #16 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corinne77

I've had this problem before and find it has nothing to do with using icing, which I always do. For me, it was using cake recipes that have oil in them. I only bake from scratch - never use box recipes. I have just adjusted my recipes - I use butter instead of oil. It takes a little tweeking to get the perfect flavor, but it has helped.

Also, make sure the cake pops or cake balls are cool when you're dipping them - not too cold or the chocolate will crack once it dries. You can leave them in the refrigerator and take a few out at a time while you're dipping. I put them all on parchment paper on a large cookie sheet, then sit the cookie sheet on top of a pan full of ice. This way I'm not running back and forth to the fridge. Works great!

Good luck!

Thanks. It's been so long since the one time I made cake pops, I have forgotten what kind of cake I used. I'm thinking it was strawberry...and that recipe does have oil.

I will try your ice idea!

Debbye27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Debbye27 Posted 28 Feb 2012 , 3:12pm
post #17 of 30

What are you using to make them? OP said cake pops, those don't have frosting in the mix - they are baked in cake pop pans. Cake balls are rolled with frosting...or melted choc in Dianne's case! (thanks for sharing icon_wink.gif)
I haven't had this problem, I've used the babycakes and the bake pop pans with scratch mix and wilton candy melts.

I have flavored the chocolate and it was super yummy! One batch I did raspberry swirl cake and put some raspberry extract in the chocolate, delicious! The other one was chocolate cake with mint extract in the chocolate- even better! I did rainbow cake pops once, and flavored the chocolate to match each color...yellow-lemon, red- strawberry.....that was a lot of work, but it came out so beautiful!!

jgifford Posted 28 Feb 2012 , 3:15pm
post #18 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debbye27

What are you using to make them? OP said cake pops, those don't have frosting in the mix - they are baked in cake pop pans. Cake balls are rolled with frosting...or melted choc in Dianne's case! (thanks for sharing icon_wink.gif)
I haven't had this problem, I've used the babycakes and the bake pop pans with scratch mix and wilton candy melts.

I have flavored the chocolate and it was super yummy! One batch I did raspberry swirl cake and put some raspberry extract in the chocolate, delicious! The other one was chocolate cake with mint extract in the chocolate- even better! I did rainbow cake pops once, and flavored the chocolate to match each color...yellow-lemon, red- strawberry.....that was a lot of work, but it came out so beautiful!!

Pops are on sticks, balls are not.

LoriMc Posted 28 Feb 2012 , 4:15pm
post #19 of 30

Last question today, I promise!

I have seen people on youtube add a teaspoon of shortening to the candy melts as the were heating. Is this necessary? What does it accomplish?

To me, cake pops are balls of cake on sticks, with or without frosting added. That has been my understanding. Didn't Bakerella come up with the term? She definitely adds frosting.

jgifford Posted 28 Feb 2012 , 4:21pm
post #20 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriMc

Last question today, I promise!

I have seen people on youtube add a teaspoon of shortening to the candy melts as the were heating. Is this necessary? What does it accomplish?

To me, cake pops are balls of cake on sticks, with or without frosting added. That has been my understanding. Didn't Bakerella come up with the term? She definitely adds frosting.

A teaspoon of shortening is to thin the candy melts after they're melted. Sometimes they aren't great for dipping, especially the red. You are correct, cake pops are balls on sticks - - the recipe makes no difference. The little cake pop baker wasn't even invented until Bakerella made them popular, but the balls have been around for quite some time. They used to be called cake truffles. thumbs_up.gif

Debbye27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Debbye27 Posted 28 Feb 2012 , 4:58pm
post #21 of 30

My bad, I just assumed cake pops were made with the cake pop maker..... I figured the 'balls' were manually shaped, which I haven't tried yet- but I like that they can be shaped into different things -rather then just a standard round ball. I have some frozen cakes that I will probably never use...someday I am going to make cake balls with them!

jgifford Posted 28 Feb 2012 , 5:08pm
post #22 of 30

Not a problem. I'm still trying to get the dipping thing down without the stick. icon_sad.gif All the websites and tutorials I've checked out say it's "so easy and fun" to make them. They lie. I've made hundreds of pops and balls and have never eaten one. By the time I get through dipping and decorating, I don't want anything to do with them - until the next time. icon_smile.gif

LoriMc Posted 28 Feb 2012 , 5:16pm
post #23 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgifford

Not a problem. I'm still trying to get the dipping thing down without the stick. icon_sad.gif All the websites and tutorials I've checked out say it's "so easy and fun" to make them. They lie. I've made hundreds of pops and balls and have never eaten one. By the time I get through dipping and decorating, I don't want anything to do with them - until the next time. icon_smile.gif

I watched someone bravely do it on youtube with a toothpick. She went back and dabbed a tiny bit of candy melts over the hole.

I could just see mine falling off of the toothpick.......

jgifford Posted 28 Feb 2012 , 5:21pm
post #24 of 30

I've had to dig a few out of the bowl, but I must admit not for a while. I am getting better at them. yay.

mommachris Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommachris Posted 1 Mar 2012 , 6:34am
post #25 of 30

I started making these about four years ago when someone on CC posted what she did with the scraps from her cakes and a bit of the back then "new" flavored coffee creamers.
Big discussion on what to call them. Purist said they weren't a real truffle so balls won out.
The lady said her husband called them Reindeer droppings...well...I'm not sure if that is what they call them in her hometown.
Suddenly their was a huge craze about a year later when people caught on, Bakerella made them cute and added a stick and now you can buy a pan that makes them round for you.
What ever you call them, I've made hundreds of dozens to raise funds for mission trips. I have quite a few addicts that call me a month in advance to see if I'm making them every year.
As time consuming as they are, they are here to stay.

As for the liquid that escapes, I only get that when I make them with an add-in that breaks down inside the ball. Heath bits are the biggest trouble maker.( I add those to a Creme Brulee flavored cake and they go like hotcakes.) With those I really need to be sure the ball is sealed or they turn into a mess in about 12 hours.
Never have any trouble with mini chocolate chips. icon_biggrin.gif

By the way, those recipes that tell you to dump a whole tub of icing into the crumbled cake. I just know there are women who would like to throw the whole batch of it in the trash can.
That must make the sloppiest dough in the world. Ewwww.

mommachris

Cakery2012 Posted 1 Mar 2012 , 9:34pm
post #26 of 30

Dipping the balls I.tried several utensils including toothpick and skewer . A regular dinner fork worked best . I see that they do make 2tined fork for dipping . I was also thinking a seafood fork might work ? .
I only add enough icing so it stick together well.

Cakery2012 Posted 1 Mar 2012 , 9:35pm
post #27 of 30

Dipping the balls I.tried several utensils including toothpick and skewer . A regular dinner fork worked best . I see that they do make 2tined fork for dipping . I was also thinking a seafood fork might work ? .
I only add enough icing so it stick together well.

Tinezaza Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tinezaza Posted 9 Mar 2012 , 5:31am
post #28 of 30

How many time can I reheat the candy melt if I have some left from one week to another for example ? Actually, I don't use all the candy melt I've heated.

I also have sometimes the sweating pb, a drop of grease on the outside of the pop. My cake doesn't have oil in it and the candy melt is clearly sealing the cake, I usually don't add fat to thin the candy melt.

Any ideas ?

AnnieBeeVee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieBeeVee Posted 22 Mar 2012 , 11:59pm
post #29 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriMc

I made them once and I had a similar problem. It wasn't grease, but the actual cake portion that seeped out around the lollipop stick. It happened after the candy coating was hard.

So, if you do a 9x13 amount of cake, how much icing is correct to add? Also, I noticed Bakerella uses cream cheese icing a lot. It's ok to use buttercream, right?

The cake mixture seeping out will happen if you coat them when they are too cold. They contract in the freezer, then after they are coated and sit out they warm up (to room temp) and expand, and the only place the cake mixture has to go is out any tiny holes. The other thing that can happen is that instead of oozing cake, the coating will crack as they warm up and expand. I've had both things happen...

I agree with whoever said that these cake balls and pops are not as easy as they look!

jenng2385 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenng2385 Posted 11 Nov 2016 , 2:54pm
post #30 of 30

I've recently started making cake pops this is my third attempt. .

They usually come out great. although they are usually kept in the fridge. . I have made about 100 cake pops for a friend's gender reveal, and I let them sit out to avoid condensation before wrapping them in cellophane. .and I went to start and they aren't melted completely, but they slide down the stick! ugh! 

I used wilton candy melts and I did dip the stick before adding the balls. . can anyone help me with this issue? I hope the issue is that it's just because it's fairly warm in my home as I'm in Guam.. 

Anyway. . will putting them back in the fridge save them? I'd hate for all of them to be ruined. .and gender reveal is tomorrow!  Noooooooo :(

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%