Gumpaste Flowers

Decorating By momd68 Updated 10 Feb 2012 , 7:57am by Annabakescakes

momd68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momd68 Posted 9 Feb 2012 , 6:42pm
post #1 of 12

I am doing gumpaste flowers for the 1st time for a cake I am making for my daughters sweet 16 bday cake in March. Do I need to attach the covered wires to the flowers to be inserted into the cake or will they stay on the cake without the wires? The cake will be all buttercream with gumpaste flowers.

11 replies
carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 9 Feb 2012 , 7:04pm
post #2 of 12

It depends on the flowers. If you are just doing some cascading blossoms then no...you won't need wires. Just use buttercream or melted chocolate. What's your design?

momd68 Posted 9 Feb 2012 , 7:16pm
post #3 of 12

This is the cake I am going to do without the carriage. It will have a crown on top instead of the carriage.

www.cakecentral.com/gallery/2257032/shabby-chic-baby-shower-cake

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 9 Feb 2012 , 10:11pm
post #4 of 12

Wow...that is one ambitious cake! And a lot of gumpaste! I know some of those smaller flowers can be stuck to the sides with BC or chocolate, but I will defer to others who have done the larger flowers as to how they would attach them to the sides of a cake like this.

It's a beautiful cake and I will be watching to see what some others will say in case I attempt something like this in the future!

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 10 Feb 2012 , 1:18am
post #5 of 12

I have done flower on cakes w/o wires for a long time. Very few really need wires.
When making the flowers roll the gp as thin as you possibly can to keep the weight down and when ready to put on the cake pipe an open circle of b'cream on the back of the flower to stick it to the cake.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 10 Feb 2012 , 3:49am
post #6 of 12

Those are pretty big flowers...I don't know that I'd guarantee that they'd stay one the cake if it wasn't fondant-covered. You could try building them onto coffee stirs so that you could insert them really far into the cake, that way they'd be anchored pretty well. Definitely use icing to stick them to the cake, and refrigerate it to harden the icing and make them stick better before you move the cake if you have to take it somewhere.

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 10 Feb 2012 , 4:49am
post #7 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by momd68

I am doing gumpaste flowers for the 1st time for a cake I am making for my daughters sweet 16 bday cake in March. Do I need to attach the covered wires to the flowers to be inserted into the cake or will they stay on the cake without the wires? The cake will be all buttercream with gumpaste flowers.

I admire your chutzpah, but I'd suggest you start practicing TODAY if you want to make all the flowers on that cake by March. I recently did my very first gum paste flowers for a 100th birthday celebration. I put them off and didn't start doing any until the week before the cake and very nearly went into panic mode and almost had to purchase some real flowers. I did manage to get flowers done, and everyone thought they were gorgeous. (I figured that they were "good enough"!) Here's a link to a close up of the poinsettias:
http://christinascakes.shutterfly.com/pictures/339
http://christinascakes.shutterfly.com/pictures/337

However--what all the party goer's didn't know is that it took me about 20 hours with 4 dismal failures (other flowers) before I was finally able to do poinsettias. (And I'd had a gum paste flowers class!)

That cake is a HUGE undertaking, especially for a beginner. I wish you well.

momd68 Posted 10 Feb 2012 , 5:56am
post #8 of 12

YES!, I have already ordered gumpaste supplies and they will be here tomorrow. I am going to start practicing next week daily and keeping the ones that turn out and ditching the ones that don't, so by the end of March hopefully I have a good supply of gumpaste flowers.

Apti Posted 10 Feb 2012 , 6:22am
post #9 of 12

Sounds like a great plan. I'd love to see some photos of your flowers and the finished cake.

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 10 Feb 2012 , 7:34am
post #10 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apti

Quote:
Originally Posted by momd68

I admire your chutzpah, but I'd suggest you start practicing TODAY if you want to make all the flowers on that cake by March. I recently did my very first gum paste flowers for a 100th birthday celebration. I put them off and didn't start doing any until the week before the cake and very nearly went into panic mode and almost had to purchase some real flowers. I did manage to get flowers done, and everyone thought they were gorgeous. (I figured that they were "good enough"!) Here's a link to a close up of the poinsettias:
http://christinascakes.shutterfly.com/pictures/339
http://christinascakes.shutterfly.com/pictures/337

However--what all the party goer's didn't know is that it took me about 20 hours with 4 dismal failures (other flowers) before I was finally able to do poinsettias. (And I'd had a gum paste flowers class!)

That cake is a HUGE undertaking, especially for a beginner. I wish you well.

I think you mean hibiscus, not poinsettia.

Apti Posted 10 Feb 2012 , 7:48am
post #11 of 12

ooops........ (getting old sucks)

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 10 Feb 2012 , 7:57am
post #12 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apti

ooops........ (getting old sucks)

I have the brain of a teenager in the body of a 70 year old. And I'm 32!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%