Mmf Help

Baking By fl_cake_lover Updated 7 Feb 2012 , 10:25pm by TinkerCakes

fl_cake_lover Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fl_cake_lover Posted 7 Feb 2012 , 2:08am
post #1 of 5

My mom and I tried making MMF for the first time tonight in Florida using the recipe from CC. We added the whole 2lb bag of powdered sugar, 4 tablespoons of water, and greased the bowl like crazy. It was still slightly sticky when we kneaded it before we wrapped it, but thought that might go away. It sat for 30+ minutes. I greased my hands and mat when I kneaded it again, and it looked like the surface of the moon. Attached is a picture - I hope it worked. The stickiness did go away, but it's not smooth.

Any suggestions on how to get out the crater marks? Is it because there might be some humidity? Too much sugar? Water? Help! I would love for this recipe to work to save money. Normally I would use Satin Ice, but this would cut my costs down by half!
LL

4 replies
mcaballero2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcaballero2 Posted 7 Feb 2012 , 3:04am
post #2 of 5

I usually let mine sit overnight or at least a couple of hours. I would suggest letting it sit a little longer, than reknead well very without any additional shortening. The pock marks look like something you would get when you knead air into the fondant causing little bubbles of air being pushed into and trapped in the fondat. Try sprinkling a little bit of icing sugar on the fondant and rolling out with a rolling pin. Then reknead trying to incorporate as little air as you can. Hope this helps!

Tails Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tails Posted 7 Feb 2012 , 6:53am
post #3 of 5

Did you sift your sugar?

fl_cake_lover Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fl_cake_lover Posted 7 Feb 2012 , 9:54pm
post #4 of 5

No, I didn't sift the sugar, and I also added it in stages. Next time I'll sift and dump the whole bag in so it doesn't beat as long creating more air pockets. Plus, I need to let it sit longer.

Thanks for the feedback.

TinkerCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TinkerCakes Posted 7 Feb 2012 , 10:25pm
post #5 of 5

I don't use the full 2lbs of PS anymore (I did the first few times I made it) I use about 1 1/2 lbs. Not sure if that would help any. Sift the PS and let the MMF it sit overnight.
Oh...I don't use a mixer either.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%