Sweetex And Sweetexz (Transfat Free)

Baking By edelli6219 Updated 2 Mar 2013 , 3:48pm by kdbasher

edelli6219 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
edelli6219 Posted 3 Feb 2012 , 6:35am
post #1 of 3

Just wanted to make everyone aware in case you didn't know that Sweetex also has a transfat free hi ratio shortening which is called SweetexZ . I discovered this by accident. I purchased a new cube from a restaurant supply store and used it twice and it was not blending properly and it was lumpy. I returned that cube thinking I got a bad batch. I got a new cube and the same thing happened. I called Sweetex and they informed me of the transfat free version (SweetexZ) which is what I had. I have to call back to see how to make the "Z" more workable.

2 replies
Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 4 Feb 2012 , 5:23am
post #2 of 3

I will be interested to hear their response. I'm in California (hobby baker) where the trans-fat ban started. My assumption is that within a few years all of the states will have similar trans-fat legislation. The manufacturers of liquid and solid shortening have been scrambling like crazy to find a product to replace their original which contains trans-fat.

kdbasher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kdbasher Posted 2 Mar 2013 , 3:48pm
post #3 of 3

I am in the same boat as you!  I purchase Sweetex, but it takes me about 1.5 years to go through an entire box.  The last one I ordered came in about a week and a half ago, and it is 0 trans fat.  Since it had been so long since I ordered, and I didn't have the old box (I measure out the quantities I need and put them in food saver bags) I thought that it was the same.  IT IS NOT!  I thought it was my fault it was lumpy because I left it in my car a few days (it's still winter here). 

I just made a batch of Sugarshacks icing, and with enough beating, it looks okay, but I am not happy.  I had to use Crisco when I ran out of my previous Sweetex in December, and I didn't like the difference.  As a Wilton instructor, I've used Sweetex to make the class buttercream, and now I'm afraid that it's going to look like crap because I won't beat it for 7 minutes. 

We'll see.  Thanks for posting about this.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%