How To Make Big Buttercream Flowers

Decorating By trishalynn0708 Updated 2 Feb 2012 , 3:11pm by Goreti

trishalynn0708 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
trishalynn0708 Posted 2 Feb 2012 , 2:10pm
post #1 of 6

I found this cake (picture attached) and it looks like the flowers on top are buttercream.. I tried googling but was only coming up with roses and how to make them.. Does anyone have any tutorials and can anyone tell me what tips they think are used or how I can find out??? I LOVE the top of this cake and i've never used gumpaste and have only used fondant a couple of times.. I am more comfortable with buttercream so I would rather use that if there is any way that I could..

I found a picture of this cake on pinterest, here is the link for it.. This i NOT my cake, I don't want anyone thinking i'm trying to take credit or anything.. lol
http://pinterest.com/pin/206602701625536522/
LL

5 replies
MsGF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MsGF Posted 2 Feb 2012 , 2:36pm
post #2 of 6

it looks to me that the tips are curved. Like the one used to make mums. Those are the Fluted Style (Wilton) Tips: 79, 80, 81. Pick the larger size to make larger flowers.

Or even larger are the Ripple Ribbon Tips (Wilton) Tips: 353, 401, 402, 403, 406

You would just need to look at the tips and you'll get an idea of how large the petals would be.

Hopefully that will get you started.

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 2 Feb 2012 , 2:48pm
post #3 of 6

This is easy. It's actually just piped right on the cake. No tutorials needed. Just do one flower at a time and then go from there. It looks like they used a few of the Wilton large tips, but Wilton also has a curved petal tip which was used for the white flowers.

Also, you might want to check out SeriousCakes on YouTube. I know she pipes all her flowers directly on the cake. I do the same, although I don't really do a lot of BC flowers for my designs.

If you like that cake, check these out from the Cupcake Cafe:

http://www.cupcakecafe-nyc.com/

They also pipe directly on the cakes and cupcakes.

cambo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cambo Posted 2 Feb 2012 , 2:51pm
post #4 of 6

This is either a cake from White Flower Cake Shoppe (or a replica) and I think they use meringue buttercream and just really large tips! They've been on Food Network Challenges in the past! Gloriously beautiful cakes! Their website is whiteflowercake.com

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Goreti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%