Hi-Ratio Cake Flour Vs Regular Cake Flour

Decorating By vgcea Updated 7 Feb 2012 , 12:36am by mcaballero2

vgcea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vgcea Posted 31 Jan 2012 , 7:54pm
post #1 of 5

Hi everyone

I'm looking to buy cake flour in bulk. I found out today that there's more than one type of cake flour. All I've ever seen marketed in the stores is "cake flour" but it seems when buying in bulk, distributors have a wider range. I spoke with a Dawn Foods sales rep today and he mentioned hi-ratio cake flour. A search on CC led me to a post that mentioned that it rises higher than regular cake flour.

For those in the know, can hi-ratio cake flour be easily substituted for regular cake flour? Since I'm thinking of getting a 50lb bag I don't want to get the wrong type of flour.

Also, for those familiar with Dawn Foods, is there a particular type of cake flour you would recommend that I purchase?

Thanks!

4 replies
mcaballero2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcaballero2 Posted 6 Feb 2012 , 4:44am
post #2 of 5

I would think since the hi-ratio rises, it would depend on the recipe. For example, you wouldn't want to use the hi-ratio on a recipe including baking soda or baking powder because it might be disastrous for the cake. Check your recipes and see what type they call for as from what I've read, you cannot substitute hi-ratio for regular cake flour. Hope this helps!

FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 6 Feb 2012 , 6:41am
post #3 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcaballero2

I would think since the hi-ratio rises, it would depend on the recipe. For example, you wouldn't want to use the hi-ratio on a recipe including baking soda or baking powder because it might be disastrous for the cake. Check your recipes and see what type they call for as from what I've read, you cannot substitute hi-ratio for regular cake flour. Hope this helps!

I use Swan's hi-ratio flour for all my cake and they are fine. I buy it in 50# bags.

vgcea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vgcea Posted 6 Feb 2012 , 6:52am
post #4 of 5

Thank you for the responses. I posted this question in the cake business forum and from the responses I got that "regular" cake flour is high-ratio flour because it can handle high amounts of liquids and sugar.

mcaballero2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcaballero2 Posted 7 Feb 2012 , 12:36am
post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromScratchSF

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcaballero2

I use Swan's hi-ratio flour for all my cake and they are fine. I buy it in 50# bags.

I could've sworn I read somewhere that it could be disastrous for cakes so I revisited that article and sure enough, the comparison was between self-rising flour and cake flour. I feel sheepish now icon_redface.gif Glad I figured this out now instead of later though. Thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%