Help Coming Up With A Design For This Cake!!!!!!

Decorating By cakeflake80 Updated 31 Jan 2012 , 12:09am by cakeflake80

cakeflake80 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeflake80 Posted 30 Jan 2012 , 6:12pm
post #1 of 10

Hi everyone!! While I can usually come up with a pretty good design by looking around online, I am really truly stuck on this cake request! My friend wants me to make her husbands birthday cake, and the three things she wants incorporated are: he loves their Bernese Mountain dog, he's a gun collector, and he loves the American flag. There will only be about 25 of us there, so I'm limited to a two tier max....or a sheet cake type style. Do you have any ideas on how I can incorporate those three things into one cake, and have it look good at the same time? ANY help will be greatly appreciated! I am really stuck on this one!

9 replies
Polarcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Polarcakes Posted 30 Jan 2012 , 6:16pm
post #2 of 10

The only thing I can think of is to have a cake with a bernese mountain dog and a man standing beside him, or kneeled on one knee holding one of his guns and an american flag "flapping" behind them.

cakeflake80 Posted 30 Jan 2012 , 6:47pm
post #3 of 10

Thanks!! The more I think about this cake, the more I don't want to do it lol.....but I kind of already agreed to it! I was considering a 3d dog laying on the flag, but I'm not sure how I could fit the gun collecting into that. Do you think that a gun laying next to the dog would just look weird?

soledad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
soledad Posted 30 Jan 2012 , 7:02pm
post #4 of 10

I was thinking the same thing, a man target shooting with the dog by his side with the flag as polarcake says, but I do not think is a good idea to put the dog figure on the "flag". Just my opinion.
Good luck!! thumbs_up.gif

CIAO

Debbye27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Debbye27 Posted 30 Jan 2012 , 7:03pm
post #5 of 10

It might look wierd to someone who doesn't love all three of those things....but it wouldn't to the husband- he would be glad to see his favorite things.

I agree it is hard to incorporate all those with a solid theme...how about doing one tier with a few guns either painted on it or laying around it, then the second tier like an american flag...then 3d dog on top - maybe out of rice krispie treats....

or a sheet cake in the shape of the flag ---then dog and guns on the board or on top?

grama_j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grama_j Posted 30 Jan 2012 , 7:28pm
post #6 of 10

I can't explain this one, so I'll show you...... I did this for a graduation a couple of years ago..... you can put each intrest of his on a different layer.......

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1390955/danis-graduation

Debbye27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Debbye27 Posted 30 Jan 2012 , 7:38pm
post #7 of 10

Love it, love it, love it grama j - awesome idea!

grama_j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grama_j Posted 30 Jan 2012 , 9:45pm
post #8 of 10

THANKS DEBBYEE !! icon_lol.gif

j92383 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
j92383 Posted 30 Jan 2012 , 10:14pm
post #9 of 10

Maybe not doing a literal flag. If you're doing a 2 tiered cake you could do the top tier in blue with white stars and the bottom tier with horizontal red and white stripes. put a 3-D dog on top and put fondant gun cutouts on the cake board

cakeflake80 Posted 31 Jan 2012 , 12:09am
post #10 of 10

Thanks everyone for the great ideas....it gives me SOMETHING to go on because I literally had nothing!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%