How To Stack This Cake?

Decorating By musikat Updated 28 Jan 2012 , 5:03am by cmehappy

musikat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
musikat Posted 28 Jan 2012 , 4:36am
post #1 of 2

I am doing a three layer graffiti cake. The only three layer I have done before this, the top was a ball cake, and the total cakes (I use box mixes) were four cakes -- two for the bottom but one layer, and one each for the top two with frosting in the middle of each. I stacked those one on top of another and had no problems.

This cake I wanted thicker layers so I ended up doing three cake mixes for the 12 inch round (with frosting in between each layer). The middle tier is one mix in two 9 inch rounds, but I split it in four and put frosting and jam in between each layer The top layer is 6 inch round and approx 3/4 of a box mix (the rest didn't fit or was cut off to make it flat)-- so five boxes of cake total! .

All three layers are covered in fondant and alread partially decorated. If I just stack them one on top of another, will they be too heavy? I am worried the cake will collapse or the fondant will crack. A little cracking is okay -- is supposed to look "distressed," but I don't want a disaster. Is there more I should know about how to do this? I have never done supports or dowels or anything like that before. Also, the layers are in the fridge. Should I let the fondant warm up before stacking or not?

1 reply
cmehappy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cmehappy Posted 28 Jan 2012 , 5:03am
post #2 of 2

You will have to use dowel rods in the layers to hold the weight of the cake on top of it. Here is a link to give you an idea how to stack them.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwnKzv7PUso&feature=related

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%