Air Brush Painting Recomended

Decorating By katita8818 Updated 23 Jan 2012 , 4:12pm by JanetBme

katita8818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katita8818 Posted 22 Jan 2012 , 5:13am
post #1 of 2

Hi everyone that loves baking and decorating, I'm trying to get a recomendation for an air brush for cake painting, my main goals are over the fondant but as well on buttercream, or chessecream ... I will love to read suggestions before I make a big step ...

thanks ...

1 reply
JanetBme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanetBme Posted 23 Jan 2012 , 4:12pm
post #2 of 2

There are so many ways you can go with that. I think there is an old post on here that really goes into it. My first recommendation is DO NOT BUY a cheap generic basic airbrush on line from mass hardware places. Yes, they work, but if it is made in china or somewhere that the products use hazardous materials in them- it isn't worth the money you "saved"!

It really depends on what you intend to do with it. What costs most in the end is the compressor.
Also, there is no "starter" or beginner level brush- it costs about the same for a great brush, so you might as well learn on a great brush that will do all you might want it to do as you progress.

If you are really interested in carrying airbrushing to a high level on your cakes, you need a good double action brush.
My favorite is the paasche talon, or the millenium. The grex is a good brush The iwata neo is good also. Those are great for beginner all the way up to professionals that want to do more detailed work.

If you just want to go do the type of painting you see on sheetcakes in the grocery store, you can do a kopy kake or bakery kraft one that comes with a low pressure compressor. Those cakes are great for professional sheet cake makers or people that just want to cover areas. They are not fine detail brushes.

There is also a good option for people that need less technical brushes. The Aztek, doesn't have needles, it has tips that you change. It's a good brush that does better than a single action, but you don't get the same type of control as you do with a regular double action.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%