How Do I Ice Cake Dummies?

Decorating By sweetscene Updated 19 Jan 2012 , 10:09pm by bellacakecreations

sweetscene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetscene Posted 18 Jan 2012 , 1:28pm
post #1 of 17

Very silly question I'm sure, but is there any trick to icing cake dummies? I'm considering doing a small bridal show and will need at least 2 dummy cakes. I'd like to do one in buttercream and one in fondant. Does one work better than the other? How do you store them? Any other tips?

16 replies
TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 18 Jan 2012 , 3:10pm
post #2 of 17

I've done dummies in spackle (won't do it again), royal icing (my second least favorite), butter cream and dummies.

For other you would ice just like you would a cake, though since they are more light weight you may need to glue them to a board or tape them down. On the fondant covered one, you need to round the edges of the top of the dummy, either using sand paper or just by pressing the edges against a hard surface.

To store it, I would just put it in an area away from sunlight and florescent lights. If you are storing it for any lenght of time you can put it in a cardboard box to keep dust off of it.

sweetscene Posted 18 Jan 2012 , 7:23pm
post #3 of 17

another question - do you do a thin layer of buttercream on the dummy before the fondant?

TexasSugar Posted 18 Jan 2012 , 7:45pm
post #4 of 17

Nope. I usually use piping gel, corn syrup, or a very very light mist of water to attach the fondant. That's all ya need.

sweetscene Posted 18 Jan 2012 , 7:50pm
post #5 of 17

Thanks, glad i asked! If anyone has any other tips, that'd be great!

grandmomof1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grandmomof1 Posted 19 Jan 2012 , 12:13am
post #6 of 17

When I attended one of the classes at the ICES Convention in Charlotte, NC, the pros there were saying to coat the dummies in Crisco and then cover it with the fondant. They said putting Crisco on it allowed you to easily remove it later to redecorate. Putting water on the dummy makes you have to pull and scrape fondant off in little pieces. It made sense to me.

sweetscene Posted 19 Jan 2012 , 12:58am
post #7 of 17

thanks grandmomof1, like that idea. And i'm in SC too in Fort MIll!

bellacakecreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bellacakecreations Posted 19 Jan 2012 , 4:06am
post #8 of 17

Texas Sugar...... a lot of people have recommended using plaster on the dummies I'm just curious what your issues were with it

TexasSugar Posted 19 Jan 2012 , 4:05pm
post #9 of 17

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=32675&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=spackle&start=0

You can read my experince with the spackle above. For me, it didn't dry white, took forever to dry and just didn't work at all for what I was wanting to do. I thought I'd save some money using it, but at this point I'm pretty sure it would have just been cheaper/easier to make royal or buttercream.

To me, a cake dummy should represent what a real cake would look like, so now I prefer to use the icings I would use on a real cake. I work with them all the time, know how they behave.

bellacakecreations Posted 19 Jan 2012 , 5:21pm
post #10 of 17

Wow!!! Sorry that you had to go through that but thanks for posting it. It helps a lot. I was thinking about spackle but everyone says it looks like fondant when it actually dries so I am just covering in buttercream and praying for the best. For the cakes I actually want fondant on I am doing the crisco rub/fondant application. Any tips on how to secure the dummies? Most are stacked cake on cake style but one will have pillars and another has foam separators that are smaller than the tiers above and below. I imagine using the cake plates would just be a waste and I am afraid dowels would damage them and I hope to be able to reuse them later. I just want to make sure those two don't fall over on the way. I'm not a crier but I imagine I would be sobbing in a corner of that happened.

ladyren Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyren Posted 19 Jan 2012 , 5:27pm
post #11 of 17

I have seen where some bakers have covered their dummies in contact paper, first, to prolong the life of the dummy. Has anyone done this on here, and what was your experience with it?

bellacakecreations Posted 19 Jan 2012 , 6:09pm
post #12 of 17

some people say they cover them in plastic wrap first so they can easily remove the buttercream afterward but I believe indydebi posted somewhere else that her buttercream iced dummies dry rock hard after a while and then she just slips a knife between the styrofoam and buttercream and it will pop off. Then you can rinse and re-use. If you are using fondant just rub the dummies with crisco first and it will stick well and come off easier. HTH

ladyren Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyren Posted 19 Jan 2012 , 6:30pm
post #13 of 17

Thank you, bella!

TexasSugar Posted 19 Jan 2012 , 7:15pm
post #14 of 17

I've never covered mine. When I am ready to remove the icing, I just remove what I can, then soak the rest off in warm water.

As far as what to glue layers together with, I have used piping gel and royal icing. Candy melts would problably work as well.

I have doweled dummies before, but that was when they were making long trips (for the ICES Conventions). For short drives the piping gel and royal icing will hold just fine.

bellacakecreations Posted 19 Jan 2012 , 7:41pm
post #15 of 17

Thank you. It's a short drive on a brick road. Lots of bouncing icon_confused.gif

Unlimited Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Unlimited Posted 19 Jan 2012 , 8:31pm
post #16 of 17

I've never had the misfortune of buying the pink spackle that's suppose to dry white (like TexasSugar did), nor the clay-like spackle that's gray colored. I've had success and very favorable results with white spackleit doesn't take too long to dry, it's easy to use (just like buttercream and easier than royal icing), and the end result looks just like buttercream. When thoroughly dry, it's lightweight, durable, and doesn't yellow over time.

Much success to those who are considering trying it (or trying it again, TexasSugar!), I've had no regrets!

bellacakecreations Posted 19 Jan 2012 , 10:09pm
post #17 of 17

Any brand in particular that you like?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%