Baking Tall Layer Cakes

Baking By joanneeland81 Updated 17 Jan 2012 , 2:00pm by joanneeland81

joanneeland81 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joanneeland81 Posted 16 Jan 2012 , 10:45am
post #1 of 6

Quick question for you lovely CC bakers. If you want a taller cake, like 3-4inches, do you get better results if you bake one big cake for a long time and then split it into 2-3 layers? Or is it better to bake the layers separatly, for a shorter time and then stack?

Sorry, I'm sure it's pretty obvious, but I'm new!!

Jo

5 replies
msthang1224 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msthang1224 Posted 16 Jan 2012 , 10:19pm
post #2 of 6

Hi,

I would just bake them seperately to get the height that you want. I would bake either 2" cakes and start there and build to the height you want or even bake 3" cakes and fill.

HTH

Norasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Norasmom Posted 16 Jan 2012 , 10:33pm
post #3 of 6

It Depends on the pans you own. Mine are 3" so I always have tall cakes. If I had bought the two inch ones I would be stacking. I think 2" inch pans are more versatile. You can have tall or not so tall cakes with them.

joanneeland81 Posted 17 Jan 2012 , 11:49am
post #4 of 6

Thanks for the reply. I have deep tins and I usually just bake one large cake and then split it, but I find it problematic at times. Firstly, it can take up to 3 hours for some of my cakes and secondly, it's not fool proof - open the door too soon and the cakes fall. I also have a gas oven and the heat comes from the top down, so, although I cover the cakes to protect them, the long cooking means I always have a crusty top.

I would much rather only half fill them and then stack to make a taller cake. I suppose I wondered because some cakes suit being baked low and slow. If I start to bake them for a shorter time, in thinner batches, I was just worried I might sacrifice on quality?

Dani1081 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dani1081 Posted 17 Jan 2012 , 12:53pm
post #5 of 6

Joaneeland, I bake in 2" high pans and always split my cakes in half. Which means I have 1" high layers. I stack 4 of them with filling in between each layer and end up with a cake that is about 4-1/2 tall. If I want a taller cake, I bake more 2" high cakes, split them and add layers accordingly, an inch at a time. If I want shorter cakes, I bake less and make fewer layers. I also have 3" pans and when I use them, I don't fill them up because I still want my cakes to bake properly. I might fill them a bit more, but not enough to require a substantially longer cook time, which as you know, has the potential to ruin your cake by falling or crusting, both of which affect the quality. IMHO.

joanneeland81 Posted 17 Jan 2012 , 2:00pm
post #6 of 6

Thanks for the detailed response. That really really helps. x

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%