Unbeliveable!

Decorating By jenlg Updated 15 Jan 2012 , 11:58pm by cakestyles

jenlg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenlg Posted 15 Jan 2012 , 2:17am
post #1 of 9

This might not be the right area to put this so if it bothers anyone I'll remove it. Guess I just need to quickly vent.

It's one thing to come up with a design of our own for a cake...others see our pictures on here and try the designs or one similar. That's fine, we should be proud that others want to try a design of our own. But...when someone takes our design...copies it to EVERY EXACT DETAIL and then passes it off as their own design...I feel this is crossing the line!!! Advertising it on their web page and offering it as one of their own cakes....errrrrr I am beyond angry.

I'm done venting now.

8 replies
DeniseNH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeniseNH Posted 15 Jan 2012 , 2:29am
post #2 of 9

Copying is the sincerest form of flattery. What it says is that they may be able to copy one of your designs but when then - YOU are the one with the artistic brain - who can come up with something even better and leave them in the dust. If they have to copy it down to the last dragee, either their customer requested an exact copy or they have no imagination. You win, because you do.

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 15 Jan 2012 , 3:27am
post #3 of 9

Now you know how Disney (or Coach, or Nickelodeon) feels when they spend tons of money creating and marketing original designs, then other people copy those designs to use in their own work without permission.

mcaulir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcaulir Posted 15 Jan 2012 , 3:45am
post #4 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenlg

This might not be the right area to put this so if it bothers anyone I'll remove it. Guess I just need to quickly vent.

It's one thing to come up with a design of our own for a cake...others see our pictures on here and try the designs or one similar. That's fine, we should be proud that others want to try a design of our own. But...when someone takes our design...copies it to EVERY EXACT DETAIL and then passes it off as their own design...I feel this is crossing the line!!! Advertising it on their web page and offering it as one of their own cakes....errrrrr I am beyond angry.

I'm done venting now.

But if they made a version, then it is one of their own cakes. They made it. And perhaps they made it because a client wanted that exact design and didn't want the baker's 'own spin on it'.

And forgive me for saying, but I can't see very much in your gallery that screams 'completely original design.' And no, there's not much in mine, either.

QTCakes1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
QTCakes1 Posted 15 Jan 2012 , 4:54am
post #5 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcaulir

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenlg

I'm done venting now.

But if they made a version, then it is one of their own cakes. They made it. And perhaps they made it because a client wanted that exact design and didn't want the baker's 'own spin on it'.

And forgive me for saying, but I can't see very much in your gallery that screams 'completely original design.' And no, there's not much in mine, either.

Wonderful point and I totally agree with you. I don't see anything original in the OP's gallery. I see designs that have been replicated over and over and over again. I never understand why people get upset over this. I have seen people come up with designs that they thought of all on their own, just for somebody else show how they also had did that same cake design. Like they say "There is nothing new under the sun".

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 15 Jan 2012 , 4:21pm
post #6 of 9

Poor horse...

mcaulir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcaulir Posted 15 Jan 2012 , 10:50pm
post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieCahill

Poor horse...

There's a lot of them laying around at the moment.

doramoreno62 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doramoreno62 Posted 15 Jan 2012 , 11:37pm
post #8 of 9

I agree. While the OP's cakes are well done, some are not original designs. My gallery has lots of pictures that were not my original design either. Most of them were replicated from pictures brought by customers who want the exact cake. Nothing wrong with that.
Now, if the cake is replicated and it is claimed as an original design, now we have a problem!

cakestyles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakestyles Posted 15 Jan 2012 , 11:58pm
post #9 of 9

In my 35 yrs of caking...I've seen VERY few "original designs".

You don't own your design unless you have it copyright protected. AND if you don't want people to copy them, don't put them on the internet where millions of people have access to them.

IF someone stole your picture and was passing YOUR work off as their own work, than you'd have reason to be upset.

But, you cannot control someone copying one of your non copyright designs.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%