Ganache Is Too Thick!

Baking By rlowry03 Updated 17 Jul 2017 , 2:22pm by CookieNibz

rlowry03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rlowry03 Posted 13 Jan 2012 , 5:47pm
post #1 of 9

I made ganache to fill cupcakes with, but I got the ratio wrong. I was looking for a softer ganache but used too much chocolate. It's already cooled. Can I heat up more cream and add to the ganache and let it set up again, or do I have to start from scratch?

8 replies
AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 13 Jan 2012 , 6:30pm
post #2 of 9

You can either add more warmed cream or just microwave it in little blasts to get it softened again.

Annie

rlowry03 Posted 13 Jan 2012 , 7:22pm
post #3 of 9

I need to actually thin it down instead of just warming it up so that it's the consistency I'm looking for once the cupcakes are filled. I'll try adding some more cream to it and see how it goes. I guess I can always make another batch and eat this one with a spoon if I have to!

jgifford Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jgifford Posted 13 Jan 2012 , 7:48pm
post #4 of 9

Man, I hate it when that happens! icon_wink.gif

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 13 Jan 2012 , 7:55pm
post #5 of 9

Yes, you can adjust the ratio now icon_smile.gif

rlowry03 Posted 13 Jan 2012 , 9:30pm
post #6 of 9

Awesome! I really didn't want to have to start over. I love chocolate but eating a pound of ganache didn't seem like the best idea...

rlowry03 Posted 15 Jan 2012 , 1:06am
post #7 of 9

Good news! I heated up more cream and added it to the ganache. I had to heat the ganache in the microwave for several bursts, but it all came together wonderfully and was the right consistency! I didn't have to eat batch one with a spoon all by myself after all! LOL!

timeforcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
timeforcake Posted 24 Jul 2015 , 7:19pm
post #8 of 9

thanks for posting your results, @rlowry03  

That was super helpful for me today, three years later ;-)

CookieNibz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookieNibz Posted 17 Jul 2017 , 2:22pm
post #9 of 9

So glad was posted 5 years ago. Saved me today. I made white chocolate ganache to ice a cake in. I got the ratios right, 3:1, but was awfully thick to ice a cake with. Very grateful for this thread! You can always count on CC! 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%