How Many Tiers Of Wedding Cake?

Decorating By fcakes Updated 12 Jan 2012 , 6:50pm by fcakes

fcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fcakes Posted 12 Jan 2012 , 1:09am
post #1 of 9

Hi!

I am helping a friend with her wedding cake planning. I am not making the cake since I prefer doing cupcakes and cake pops, but her mom and aunt are helping her do it, along with me on the sidelines, ready to jump in if needed! icon_biggrin.gif

So, she wants a 3-tier cake, is interested in serving 100-120 people, wants to save the top tier for the 1st anniversary and wants square cakes.

We would really appreciate any advice on this! What size should the tiers be?

And each tier should be 2 square cakes, torted and filled to make 4 cake layers and 2 filling layers right?

TIA!!

8 replies
msthang1224 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msthang1224 Posted 12 Jan 2012 , 1:31am
post #2 of 9

Hi,
ok, if she wants a 3 tiered cake (square) to feed 120ppl and save the top for anniversary, I would use a 6", 10" and 12" will feed 122ppl w?o top tier. i would also try to take up some space in btw the 6" and 10" bc its 2" wider in btwn 10" and 12" so it doesnt look off OR Use 6", 10" and 14" w/o the top tier will feed 148ppl.

good luck HTH

fcakes Posted 12 Jan 2012 , 1:50am
post #3 of 9

So if we use 6/10/12 to cut and serve, can we use a 4" for the top tier to be saved?

I thought 6" square is the smallest square available? So cut a 4" from a bigger square?

msthang1224 Posted 12 Jan 2012 , 2:08am
post #4 of 9

I was going to suggest that you use a 4" tier but you stated that you wanted a 3 tier cake and the extra tier would make it a 4 tier cake, lol. But yes, you can definitely do it that way. you can cut a 4" sq out of a 6" sq but if you want it to be precise w/o aand problems. I would buy the 4" cake pan and do it that way icon_smile.gif

Also, about the fillings. you would actually have 3 fillings instead of 2 if your torting the layers. Because if you take 2 layers and torte both to make 4 layers you will have: cake/filling/cake/filling/cake/filling/cake.

fcakes Posted 12 Jan 2012 , 1:28pm
post #5 of 9

Thank you!! I'm sorry I misread your earlier response! I thought you meant the 6/10/12 will serve 122.

But I see now that you meant the 10/12 will serve 122 and the top tier can be saved icon_biggrin.gif

Also, the 2 layers will be 2 inch high each right? So each tier will be 4 inches high? Is that the typical height of wedding cake tiers because they appear higher than 4 inches, don't they?

We will be adding fondant, if that helps! Thanks sooo much!!

msthang1224 Posted 12 Jan 2012 , 2:15pm
post #6 of 9

Hi,

Its ok icon_smile.gif Yes, usually they are yr typical 4" high but when u torte it adds a bit more height to yr cake. Exampl: cutting one 2" layer cake in half with filling added can make yr cake go from 2" to 2 1/2" or 3" depending on the amount of filling. The filling will add a bit of height when added. Same goes for as if u were making a regular 2 layered cake: 2- 2" cakes w/filling in btwn will give u approx a 5" tall cake, ie: filling added 1" of height.
Also, keep in mind that sometimes bakers us 3" cake pans to give the cake some height or use a support medium (foamcore or other base) that's thicker to give the appearnce of a higher/taller cake. Adding fondant only gives u a tad bit more height/width and that depends on the thickness of yr fondant.
HTH

fcakes Posted 12 Jan 2012 , 2:28pm
post #7 of 9

Thanks so much for the tips! I really really appreciate it icon_biggrin.gif

msthang1224 Posted 12 Jan 2012 , 4:47pm
post #8 of 9

Yr Very Welcome!! Anytime icon_smile.gif I always find help on CC, we have some very helpful friends in the CAKE WORLD icon_smile.gif be sure to post a pic so we can see yr wonderful creation! If I can help any further, be sure to ask icon_smile.gif

fcakes Posted 12 Jan 2012 , 6:50pm
post #9 of 9

Thank you! Will post a pic for sure! The wedding's in Dec '12. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%