Confusion Over Buttercream Or Fondant

Decorating By disastrophe Updated 18 Jan 2012 , 2:58am by disastrophe

QTCakes1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
QTCakes1 Posted 17 Jan 2012 , 1:59pm
post #31 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromScratchSF

That is fondant. But you can get a very similar look with buttercream:

One of my cakes, SMBC. The flowers are fabric. I chose to overlap the ruffles that much with a 103 but I was originally going to use a larger rose tip and make them farther apart. Changed my mind at the last minute.

That is beautiful. And like I said, it can be done in buttercream. There is someone on here, and I wish I could remember her name, who's buttercream looks just like fondant. She is THAT great. Just cause someof us do not have that skill, doesn't mean someone else can't have it.

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 17 Jan 2012 , 2:22pm
post #32 of 34

Holy carpal tunnel syndrome!

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 17 Jan 2012 , 3:38pm
post #33 of 34

I haven't read all the posts so if this has been suggested forgive me.

Do you have a dummy cake? I would use it or a cake pan, and show her a buttercream version of the ruffles and a fondant version. So that she can see while I could be done in buttercream it would be a totally different look. That way there would be no suprises later for her in the look.

disastrophe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
disastrophe Posted 18 Jan 2012 , 2:58am
post #34 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by QTCakes1

Just cause someof us do not have that skill, doesn't mean someone else can't have it.

Exactly . . . so when I wrote her, I let her know that I am not one of those decorators who can make buttercream look precisely like that picture. It would be similar looking but not precisely like her inspiration cake. I tried to be honest about my skills (or lack thereof).

She hasn't written back so perhaps she did find someone capable. I'm OK with that, because I would hate to not meet her expectations. All these posts have been educational so thanks for sharing your suggestions!

P.S. TexasSugar, I do have some dummies lying around. That is a great suggestion for next time a question like this comes by.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%