Ateco Turntable

Decorating By bluedaisies Updated 6 Jan 2012 , 7:01pm by KoryAK

bluedaisies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bluedaisies Posted 4 Jan 2012 , 4:59pm
post #1 of 10

I have an opportunity to buy a used Ateco turntable. I've only used Wilton's so far. Are the Ateco's worthwhile? Opinions appreciated! Thank you icon_smile.gif

9 replies
deb4oscar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deb4oscar Posted 4 Jan 2012 , 5:19pm
post #2 of 10

I think it is worth the investment. I used Wilton's (tilted one) for years until it became unbalanced, then invested in the Ateco and just love it.....

CakeInfatuation Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeInfatuation Posted 4 Jan 2012 , 5:56pm
post #3 of 10

My husband bought me an Ateco turntable last year for Christmas. Although I think a good solid turntable is a MUST, I am not sure Ateco is the brand. My turntable does not sit level in the base. So when you spin it, it wobbles like mad (even if spinning slowly) and I'm always trying to compensate for the cakes not sitting on the turntable level so I don't end up with crooked cakes.

I think that Fat Daddio's has one that is a better quality... Maybe some else can say.

Before Christmas I went to the restaurant store and they had Ateco there, I thought about grabbing a replacement but when I spun the turntable on that one, it did the same thing mine does. So... I have to wonder how reliable they would be to get a nice solid, LEVEL, turntable that spins smoothly.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 5 Jan 2012 , 1:28pm
post #4 of 10

I love the new Wilton Ultimate tilting turntable. I used a Michael's 50% off coupon to get it for $40.

I had an Ateco turntable for about 10 mins.---couldn't abide the awful wobbling, either.

Rae

Spooky_789 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Spooky_789 Posted 5 Jan 2012 , 6:40pm
post #5 of 10

I too have the new Wilton Ultimate Turntable, but with smaller cakes, I'm finding the purple non-skid top messes me up when I'm smoothing my cake using a bench scraper, since the non-skid pad curves. For larger cakes, no problem, but the 6" or 8' cakes with the same size cake boards are problematic.

BlakesCakes Posted 5 Jan 2012 , 8:03pm
post #6 of 10

I never smooth on the turntable. I place my cake on its same sized board, put that on a much larger board, and put that on top of a low, large (16" diameter) lazy susan. When it's smooth, I transfer it to the decorative board.

Rae

Spooky_789 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Spooky_789 Posted 5 Jan 2012 , 9:41pm
post #7 of 10

So you just do decorating only on the turn table? I think if I kept moving my cake around I'd do more harm than good.

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 5 Jan 2012 , 10:06pm
post #8 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spooky_789

So you just do decorating only on the turn table? I think if I kept moving my cake around I'd do more harm than good.

There's less chances of messing it up when it's on a larger board. When you move the cake, it's still on its own board that's the same size. Never try to move a heavy iced cake without the bottom circle.

BlakesCakes Posted 5 Jan 2012 , 11:24pm
post #9 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spooky_789

Yep.

My counters are high and I'm short, so I can't ice a cake on a tall turntable without having my shoulder and hand at a really awkward angle.

The lazy susan is only 3 inches off the counter, moves smoothly on ball bearings, and is big enough that I can center a 16" circle or a large rectangular sheet board (I use the plastic Tuff boards so that I can wash & recycle them). I'd say that covers 90%+ of the cake sizes that I do.

I move my cakes around a lot and they're always on that larger board until it's time to adhere it to the decorative board.

I mainly use the Wilton Ultra Turntable to do side designs and stringwork so that I can sit down and work at eye level.

Rae

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 6 Jan 2012 , 7:01pm
post #10 of 10

I have 3 ateco turntables (oldest is at least 10 years) and I love them. I have never had an issue with uneven surfaces. If there is no lube between the top table part and the base it will not spin smoothly - is this what you mean? It just needs to be greased.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%