Advice Would Be Great!!!

Decorating By brritbratt21 Updated 29 Dec 2011 , 11:21am by brritbratt21

brritbratt21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brritbratt21 Posted 27 Dec 2011 , 4:55pm
post #1 of 11

Another question. Im making my first "big" cake for a New Years party. I have never made one like this before and its going to be for my family and for practice. I am planning on using just store bought icing for the crumb coat then fondant on top. Do I need to add anything to the icing or will it work straight from the container? icon_eek.gif

10 replies
costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 28 Dec 2011 , 2:10am
post #2 of 11

Seriously, just make some icing! The stuff from the can is nasty and doesn't get stiff enough, it's too plasticky. It's easy, just look up any recipe that uses butter and it will be much better and work better than canned.

eastercand Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eastercand Posted 28 Dec 2011 , 2:32am
post #3 of 11

The cost of a bucket of Wilton frosting is like $11.00 vs $3-4 making it yourself and it tastes soooo much better. I use Sharon Zambito's recipe and I get rave reviews. Wilton is good too, but is second choice for me now.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 28 Dec 2011 , 5:01am
post #4 of 11

..............please, make your own. It's not worth wasting your time to bake just to use chemical tasting canned frosting--blech. It's good practice, too!

Rae

Jessicakes831 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jessicakes831 Posted 28 Dec 2011 , 5:25am
post #5 of 11

I agree with all of the others, you should make your own. It's really easy and you can adjust it to make it exactly how you want it. And the best part is, it tastes much better and is so much cheaper than the store bought kind. This is the recipe I follow and it works wonderfully for me.

1 tbsp vanilla
2 tbsp butter
1/2 milk
5 cups powdered sugar
1/2 cup shortening

These are all estimates. I usually just add however much I feel like adding. The shortening is what keeps it standing up. You can tell if you have enough by pulling the spoon out of the frosting and seeing if it stays sticking up.

Caths_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caths_Cakes Posted 28 Dec 2011 , 10:22am
post #6 of 11

i agree with all the others, i started out practising with canned frosting (Betty crocker) and that stuff is like wall filler! its so gloopy and sticky! Really, not worth the hassel given that that making your own buttercream is super easy and super yummy!! my recipe is very simple for butter cream its
4 0z unsalted very soft butter
12 oz icing (powdered) sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tbsp water

i simply beat the butter till its slightly paler than it started, add all the sugar, the water, and vanilla and then let my mixer run for five minutes, and it gives perfect fluffy yummy buttercream everytime. . Thats my base my base recipe and if i need more, i just double it/triple it. Please do try making your own, it wont take you long and youll reap the benefits much better than using store bought icon_smile.gif x

Honeybees Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Honeybees Posted 28 Dec 2011 , 11:02am
post #7 of 11

I have to agree with everyone else too. It makes such a big difference and doesn't take long to make a good batch of frosting. Your taste buds will thank you for it!

Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 28 Dec 2011 , 3:20pm
post #8 of 11

!/2 of what of milk, Jessicakes? I'm interested in your recipe but you left the unit of measurement out. Teaspoons? Tablespoons? Help!

Claire138 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Claire138 Posted 28 Dec 2011 , 5:09pm
post #9 of 11

I use the Wiltons bc recipe with some adjustments, I add a packet of vanilla pudding or chocolate pudding (depends on the flavor I need) and use soy vanilla milk or soy chocolate milk, I use quite a bit, far more than the recipe calls for. Works a dream and tastes delicious.

grandmomof1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grandmomof1 Posted 28 Dec 2011 , 7:25pm
post #10 of 11

Don't ruin a good cake with store bought stuff? It's too easy to make your own to skip that.

brritbratt21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brritbratt21 Posted 29 Dec 2011 , 11:21am
post #11 of 11

Thank you all very much for all the advice icon_smile.gif I didnt know there was such simple recipes! I have spent so much time trying to find a simple one and none of them compared to the ones you all listed! I think I will try and make it now!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%