Using Plunger Cutters

Decorating By pj22 Updated 22 Dec 2011 , 5:29am by Yeni131

pj22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pj22 Posted 20 Dec 2011 , 3:28am
post #1 of 18

I bought several plunger cutters off Ebay and love the snowflake ones but I am not able to get a clean cut line like this: http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2230643/2230644

My snowflakes are turning out messed up and not neat. I press, wiggle and push the plunger but I have to separate the cut-out snowflake with a toothpick.

I roll the fondant/gumpaste thin and also grease the mat well. What do I do to get clean cut-outs? Thanks!
LL

17 replies
MarianInFL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MarianInFL Posted 20 Dec 2011 , 4:16am
post #2 of 18

Rub them against your palm before you plunge them out. It will take all the excess fondant away.

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 20 Dec 2011 , 6:14am
post #3 of 18

You may PM the original pic poster and see what medium they used? Is it straight fondant, fondant and gumpaste or just gumpaste.

I'm wondering if your fondant is too soft?

I used modeling chocolate this week with tappits and it worked great. I plan on trying it with the plungers too. Since it chills firm, it seems to cut well.

pj22 Posted 20 Dec 2011 , 2:28pm
post #4 of 18

That's what the issue is... it doesn't stick to the plunger at all. It works like a regular cutter. I wiggle the cutter on the fondant,plunge to make the embossing and lift. The cutout remains on the mat and I have to pry it away with a toothpick.

I'm working with straight fondant and also tried with 50/50 fondant/gumpaste. What could I be doing wrong?

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 20 Dec 2011 , 3:16pm
post #5 of 18

Try using cornstarch on the mat instead of shortening and it won't stick to the mat.

Also what kind on mat are you using. I was having this problem with the ribbon cutter and it turned out it was because I was working on a silicon mat. It was too soft. Try putting down a piece of wax paper directly on your work surface and do the plunger that way. The harder work surfaces get cleaner lines.

MartiW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MartiW Posted 20 Dec 2011 , 5:20pm
post #6 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by sillywabbitz

Try using cornstarch on the mat instead of shortening and it won't stick to the mat.

Also what kind on mat are you using. I was having this problem with the ribbon cutter and it turned out it was because I was working on a silicon mat. It was too soft. Try putting down a piece of wax paper directly on your work surface and do the plunger that way. The harder work surfaces get cleaner lines.

Also try letting your fondant sit awhile before cutting.

Rusti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rusti Posted 20 Dec 2011 , 7:32pm
post #7 of 18

try turning the plunger cutter over and laying the gum paste/fondant on the cutter and go over it with your small rolling pin. You should get a very clean cut that way and after it is cut hold the bottom with your hand and press the plunger to your palm for the imprint. Works great for me on any cutter.

pj22 Posted 20 Dec 2011 , 8:13pm
post #8 of 18

Thanks for the ideas.... I use the usual Wilton mat.

I'll try the cornstarch and also let the fondant dry for a bit before cutting. Rusti's idea of doing it the other way round also sounds good... I'm gonna try all this to see how it works... thanks so much!!

JillyPlot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JillyPlot Posted 20 Dec 2011 , 8:43pm
post #9 of 18

Please let us know your results! I'd love to see what works best for you!

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 20 Dec 2011 , 10:21pm
post #10 of 18

Another idea that I like to do... paper punchers used on edible image paper! Or very thin, semi-dried gumpaste pieces.

tripleD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tripleD Posted 20 Dec 2011 , 11:01pm
post #11 of 18

I use plunger cutters all the time. Don't use a mat (it gives frayed edges) Use corn starch on your countertop. No grease. Roll your fondant out and cut on the counter. good luck.

pj22 Posted 20 Dec 2011 , 11:46pm
post #12 of 18

Will the paper punches stand on top of buttercream or whipped cream to give a 3d effect? Or will they only sit flat against the icing?

I will also try doing it on the countertop... and will keep you updated on what works best!

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 21 Dec 2011 , 9:23pm
post #13 of 18

Yes they will stand on buttercream or fondant, but whipped cream will melt them.

pj22 Posted 21 Dec 2011 , 10:33pm
post #14 of 18

Thanks! I'll try that to see how it goes!

DH2008 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DH2008 Posted 21 Dec 2011 , 11:36pm
post #15 of 18

I just used these same plungers a couple days ago. I used The Mat & dusted cornstarch directly on the cutter & they came out sharp! Gave them as gifts at work today & had someone ask me if they were plastic they looked so good icon_wink.gif Also I used 50/50 gum paste & fondant. Wish I could post a pic w/ my IPad. CC needs an App..

pj22 Posted 22 Dec 2011 , 12:00am
post #16 of 18

thanks so much DH2008! I'll try the cornstarch technique first to see how it turns out!! Appreciate it icon_smile.gif

Please post a pic when you get a chance!

DH2008 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DH2008 Posted 22 Dec 2011 , 3:20am
post #17 of 18

I can email you some pics...

Yeni131 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Yeni131 Posted 22 Dec 2011 , 5:29am
post #18 of 18

I just used the snowflake cutter last night. I had really clean lines. I used 100% fondant, rolled it thin and let it sit for a few minutes to get it to dry a bit. I press the cutter then the plunger, release the plunger but still pressing the cutter. I rub it back and forth on the mat to make the lines clean. Then lift it, press the plunger and the snowflake pops out with very clean lines.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%