Can You Use Americolor Red Gel In Place Of Liq 2Oz Bottle

Decorating By Hcraley24 Updated 15 Dec 2011 , 10:31pm by pmarks0

Hcraley24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hcraley24 Posted 8 Dec 2011 , 1:19pm
post #1 of 6

I am making red velvet cakes and have no liquid red color but a huge bottle of red americolor red. Can I sub that? Would the amounts be the same? Has anyone ever done that? Is there a difference in taste?texture? Also, if anyone has a good red velvet recipe please share! Oh, one more thing, can you make cupcakes from the batter or do you need a different recipe for cupcakes that will be custom decorated. I guess I am concerned about the sturdiness.
Thanks everyone icon_smile.gif

5 replies
kaat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaat Posted 8 Dec 2011 , 1:43pm
post #2 of 6

I'd say you could substitute, but I'm pretty sure the amounts would not be the same. There was a thread here not that long ago where someone subed with the same amount and it was bitter. Sorry I can't help you more...

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 8 Dec 2011 , 2:44pm
post #3 of 6

You might want to change the subject topic to include the words "Red Velvet" so that you get more answers. Few links for you.

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=708151&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=0

Pay special attention to the changes scp1127 makes to the recipe. She's got lots of experience with red velvet.

This next link is about whoopie pies, but some of her changes might apply to your cupcakes.

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=729693&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-717555.html

Jeannem Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeannem Posted 15 Dec 2011 , 6:08pm
post #4 of 6

After searching the above links--still couldn't find the substitution ratio--I usually use 1 tbsp of Americolor, and add water to make it 2 oz (1/4 cup).

aandkidz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aandkidz Posted 15 Dec 2011 , 7:59pm
post #5 of 6

I havent tried americolors red, so I cant answer. However, I've tried 3 different RVC recipes and this is by far the best. I googled it and found on Foodnetwork...I think. But everyone loves it. Im kind of finicky about RV because there are so many so its hard to know which one is right. So its kind of trial and error. But give this one a try:

For the Red Velvet Cake:

2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (recommended: White Lily)
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cocoa
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
2 eggs
1 1/2 cups canola oil
1 teaspoon vinegar
1 (1-ounce) bottle red food coloring
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup buttermilk

For the cream cheese frosting:

1/2 cup margarine 1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese 1 box confectioners' sugar, sifted 1/2 teaspoon vanilla 1 cup chopped lightly toasted pecans

For the Red Velvet Cake:

Directions Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour 3 (9-inch) round layer cake pans.

Sift flour, baking soda and coco together. Beat sugar and eggs together in a large bowl.

In a separate bowl mix together oil, vinegar, food coloring, and vanilla. Add to the bowl of eggs and sugar and beat until combined.

Add the flour mixture and the buttermilk to the wet mixture by alternating the buttermilk and dry ingredients. Always start with the flour and end with the flour.

Pour batter into pans. Tap them on the table to level out the batter and release air bubbles. Bake for 25 minutes or until a cake tester inserted near the middle comes out clean but be careful not to over bake or you'll end up with a dry cake.

Let layers cool on a wire rack for about 10 minutes before turning out of pan. Cool completely before frosting.

For the cream cheese frosting: This is the "official" cream cheese frosting recipe but we always use about 1 1/2 recipes on each cake to cover it well.

Let margarine and cream cheese soften to room temperature. Cream well. Add sugar and beat until mixed but not so much that the frosting becomes "loose". Add vanilla and nuts. Spread between layers and on top and sides of cake.

pmarks0 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pmarks0 Posted 15 Dec 2011 , 10:31pm
post #6 of 6

I use the Americolor red and just put in enough until I like the color, but it's definitely not 2oz.

I use the Bobby Flay red velvet recipe on the food network site. And I have made cupcakes with it as well.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%