Holiday Cookie Gift Boxes - Help!

Baking By Jessicakes831 Updated 28 Nov 2011 , 7:50am by scp1127

Jessicakes831 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jessicakes831 Posted 28 Nov 2011 , 2:20am
post #1 of 2

Hello everyone!
I have had the idea of selling boxes/bags/jars/something filled with cookies to people that can give them out as gifts for Christmas/Hanukah but I'm having some problems figuring out the details.
What should I sell? I make delicious chocolate chip cookies, sugar cookies, carmelitas, chocolate-caramel shortbread, sugar-cinnamon roasted almonds, cupcakes, cake pops, etc. but I don't know exactly what to include in these packages. At first I was toying around with the idea of letting people choose what they would like but I quickly realized this would make the process much more complicated than it needs to be. I'm steering myself towards small bags of mini chocolate chip cookies, mini sugar cookies, mini shortbread squares and almonds. (Probably each cookie would have a 1" and there would be ten cookies in each bag.)
But how would I package these? I am very environmentally friendly and do not like the idea of using the single use plastic bags for all of these goodies but I have no other prevalent ideas. Maybe candy papers (cupcake papers) could hold different goodies and they would all fit into a cute box? My problem with this is that they could fall out of their designated cups. Maybe I could put them in decorative paper bags? I'm not sure. This is a decision I'm struggling to make.
My last problem is how should I price them? If I did decide to make ten 1" chocolate chip cookies, ten 1" sugar cookies, ten 1" squares of caramel-chocolate shortbread, and ten sugar-cinnamon almonds in a paper bag, would five dollars be too much? If the answer is yes, then I don't think I would choose to do this after all because of the large amount of time and effort it would require. I would also offer the option of doubling or quadrupling the amount and price but keeping the same packaging if someone would like to send it to a larger family. I would also, of course, offer the option of buying multiple $5 bags.
This idea has been mulling around in my brain for the past week or so and I just wanted to get my ideas out of there and see what you all have to think about it. Your feedback is very much appreciated!

Jessicakes

1 reply
scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 28 Nov 2011 , 7:50am
post #2 of 2

I see you are newer to CC. Just make sure that you are properly licensed to sell in your area. Once you establish these requirements and their costs, then look at your other overhead and see if it is feasable.

I think one inch cookies are rather small. Mine are bigger than that on my cookie buffets with multiple choices.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%