Yellow Almond Cake -- Questions On Cake And Filling

Baking By augurey Updated 12 Dec 2011 , 6:43pm by augurey

augurey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
augurey Posted 27 Nov 2011 , 11:51pm
post #1 of 12

My mom loves almond yellow cake (years ago she would tell me to just add some almond extract into the yellow cake mix).

For her birthday this year, I was going to try Syliva Weinstock's Classic Yellow Cake recipe. I was planning on substituting the vanilla with almond extract. I only have pure almond extract on hand; what is the difference between pure almond and imitation? Well, besides the obvious I mean. Can it change/ruin a recipe if used interchangeably from what a recipe calls for?

Also, I have some almond meal (never used; heard of it and was just excited when I found it so I bought it); I'm under the impression that I could put this in the cake to enhance the almond flavor. Is this true? If so, would the almond extract make the almond flavor overpowering?

If it can be used in a cake, how would I add this into the cake? Would I need to substitute this for a small amount of flour? What is the ideal amount to put in?

For the filling, I was thinking of using SMBC. I've flavored SMBC with almond before and it tasted absolutely amazing. My boyfriend and his siblings were eating the leftovers (which was a lot) straight from the bowl when I tried it the first time. Though I'm afraid that if I flavor the SMBC almond, it may be too overwhelming and over powerful.

What would be some other good flavors to add the SMBC?

I have a few flavors of LorAnn oils (never used). The only two flavors that I have that might compliment the almond yellow cake is Chocolate Hazelnut and Vanilla Butternut. I have no idea what these two flavors taste like and I know my mom's not a huge hazelnut fan (though as I've never tasted it, I'm not sure if it'd be a flavor she'd dislike).

I have time to purchase other extracts and/or oils. So if anyone could suggest complimentary flavors (as I kind of want to do something other than regular vanilla flavor).

TIA!

11 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 28 Nov 2011 , 1:48am
post #2 of 12

......pure almond extract on hand; what is the difference between pure almond and imitation? ......Extract will be stronger and much more ture to the flavor; imitation probably is NOT made from nuts but chemicles.

......have some almond meal... ... would the almond extract make the almond flavor overpowering?....
No usding the meal *and* the extract shoud not be a problem as far as taste goes. I donot bake scratch so can't really say if you can/should use the meal. I'm rather sure it will change the texture of the cake and since you are going to use a recipe you are not fimilar with I wouldn't. If you do decide to use it I would only use maybe 1/4 cup and leave that much of the 'regular' flour out.
From having used hazelnut flavoring (from Wilton yrs ago) it is a *very strong* flavor and I would not use it *and* any other almond - meal or flavoring or definately not LorAnn oils. They are VERY strong!

If almond is the flavor you mom likes then I'd stick to it and not be adding others in this case. Sometimes a combination of 3 flavors is helpful but I think almond can be enough aloneicon_smile.gif But then.......eveeryone's taste is different and what I like and what you or your family likes can be very different icon_smile.gif

augurey Posted 28 Nov 2011 , 9:22pm
post #3 of 12

Thank you very much for your input, kakeladi icon_smile.gif

I do think I will leave out the almond meal just because I'm not very familiar with it. If I'm able to do a trial run of the recipe beforehand, I might try it (but I'm not 100% sure I will).

I know I should do a trial run anyway, but the kitchen might not be available until I can make it for the actual cake.

cangela4re Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cangela4re Posted 11 Dec 2011 , 6:45pm
post #4 of 12

I agree, dont attempt the Almond meal without a trial run to see if you like the texture it produces, Im also a firm believer in never using imitation extracts unless you absolutely have to because they often have a chemical aftertaste (to me anyway). I also dont think it would be too overpowering to do the almond cake with the almond BC but you might consider making a chocolate almond BC or even using a chocolate mousse or chocolate/coconut filling between layers (think of an almond joy candy bar). If you want to try something even more "out of the box" maybe try an almond toffee mouse between layers or use almond extract and butter toffee oil (loranns) to flavor your buttercream, this would make it taste more like an almond roca candy...yumm!

I wouldnt use hazlenut at all if mom doesnt like the flavor. HTH

weebles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weebles Posted 11 Dec 2011 , 7:53pm
post #5 of 12

I have a recipe for Almond Cake using almond flour. I have yet to make this recipe myself but it tasted wonderful!
1 3/4 c sour cream
1/2 pound (2 sticks) unsalted butter at room temp
1/2 c walnut or vegetable oil
3 1/2 c all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 c granulated sugar
2/3 c almonds, ground and toasted
4 large eggs at room temp
2 teaspoons almond extract
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Oven temp 325 degrees
In a large bowl cream 1 cup of the sour cream, the butter and the oil. In a seperate bowl sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Stir in the sugar and almond flour. Add the dry ingredients to the creamed butter mixture, one third at a time. Mix thoroughly after each addition. In another bowl mix the eggs, the remaining 3/4 cup of sour cream and the extracts. Add the eggs mixture to the batter in thirds beating for 1 minute on medium speed after each addition. Fill two 8" pans and bake for 20-25 minutes or until toothpick inserted into center of cakes comes out clean.

The other suggestions for a filling/icing sound SO yummy for an almond cake! OK, now my mouth is watering and I'm tempted to make this the day I make this recipe for myself!

cangela4re Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cangela4re Posted 12 Dec 2011 , 12:42am
post #6 of 12

That almond cake recipe sounds scrumptious! Thank you for sharing....

The almond flour is probably wonderful, I will keep my eye out for some now just to give it a try! Not sure if Almond meal would have more of a cornbread result like cornmeal vs. flour would??

mclaren Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mclaren Posted 12 Dec 2011 , 2:54am
post #7 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by weebles

I have a recipe for Almond Cake using almond flour. I have yet to make this recipe myself but it tasted wonderful!
1 3/4 c sour cream
1/2 pound (2 sticks) unsalted butter at room temp
1/2 c walnut or vegetable oil
3 1/2 c all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 c granulated sugar
2/3 c almonds, ground and toasted
4 large eggs at room temp
2 teaspoons almond extract
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Oven temp 325 degrees
In a large bowl cream 1 cup of the sour cream, the butter and the oil. In a seperate bowl sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Stir in the sugar and almond flour. Add the dry ingredients to the creamed butter mixture, one third at a time. Mix thoroughly after each addition. In another bowl mix the eggs, the remaining 3/4 cup of sour cream and the extracts. Add the eggs mixture to the batter in thirds beating for 1 minute on medium speed after each addition. Fill two 8" pans and bake for 20-25 minutes or until toothpick inserted into center of cakes comes out clean.

The other suggestions for a filling/icing sound SO yummy for an almond cake! OK, now my mouth is watering and I'm tempted to make this the day I make this recipe for myself!

Sorry, but I missed where the recipe says 'almond flour'? Or...almond flour = all-purpose flour mixed with toasted ground almond called in the recipe?

I do not have access to almond flour, but if almond flour is just a mixture of flour and ground almond, then I'm interested to try this recipe...looks yummy.

TIA!

sarahnichole975 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarahnichole975 Posted 12 Dec 2011 , 3:25am
post #8 of 12

I love raspberry or strawberry with almond cake. I do both flavored smbc's. Just add strawberry or raspberry paste to it, or you can also use a preserve or filling if you don't have the paste. SMBC flavors nicely with almost anything.

FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 12 Dec 2011 , 4:18am
post #9 of 12

I would not add almond meal to your recipe. It is not a flour, it just ground almonds. If you taste it, it actually has very little "almond" flavor. It's like buying fresh herbs versus dried and already ground herbs in the store. Anyway unless you are an experienced scratch baker, this would be tricky to make work properly. If not, you will probably get a cornmeal or muffin texture.

I make a raspberry almond cake, and it's a top seller for my wedding cakes. Raspberry goes so well with almonds. I fold in raspberry preserves and almond extract into my yellow cake.

If you are looking for a concentrated almond flavor, I use Nielson Massey, IMHO it's the best flavor. If you don't mind getting spendy, you can get fresh ground almond butter and put that in your SMBC. It gives it a really nice texture and because it is actual fresh ground almonds and it's got a really good flavor. When I make it I do boost it with just a touch of almond extract.

Jen

augurey Posted 12 Dec 2011 , 3:30pm
post #10 of 12

Thank you so much for everyone's input.

I made my mom's cake a few days ago - though I was finding the Sylvia Weinstock recipe intimidating, I found a recipe for white/yellow cake that was posted by FromScratch and used that last minute.

The cake turned out so beautiful. I think it was the best scratch cake that I've ever made.

FromScratch, I will look into getting that Nielson Massey. I used a lot of pure almond extract to get the flavor that I wanted. Where can you find almond butter? I've never seen anything like this in the stores near me (though I never did check our Dutch shop around here for butter).

As for the almond meal, what can I do with it? It was an impulse buy...

FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 12 Dec 2011 , 6:25pm
post #11 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by augurey

Thank you so much for everyone's input.

I made my mom's cake a few days ago - though I was finding the Sylvia Weinstock recipe intimidating, I found a recipe for white/yellow cake that was posted by FromScratch and used that last minute.

The cake turned out so beautiful. I think it was the best scratch cake that I've ever made.

FromScratch, I will look into getting that Nielson Massey. I used a lot of pure almond extract to get the flavor that I wanted. Where can you find almond butter? I've never seen anything like this in the stores near me (though I never did check our Dutch shop around here for butter).

As for the almond meal, what can I do with it? It was an impulse buy...

Aw, shucks! Thanks! I'm so glad you had success making my version of the scratch WASC!

Do you have a Whole Foods, Williams Sonoma, Sur La Table or any stores like that? They carry Nielson Massey, or you can just buy it off Amazon.

Check next to where they carry peanut butter for prepackaged stuff, but also check if you have a store where you can grind your own. I buy mine at Whole Foods but I've seen those grind your own machines at regular grocery stores too, and I know Trader Joes carries it also. It's just pricey, I get organic fresh ground peanut butter for 3.99/lb, fresh almond butter will run 9.99/lb. But a little bit goes a long way in SMBC, I use about 1/2 the amount of AB then I use PB because the flavor is so nice and concentrated.

augurey Posted 12 Dec 2011 , 6:43pm
post #12 of 12

Thanks for the info FromScratch icon_smile.gif

It really was the best cake I've made; taste, texture, crumb etc. Such a noticeable difference in everything else I've made. This one is going to replace my white scratch recipe (very crumbly and heavy - though maybe it's the way I'm making it, but clearly did not have issue with yours; which also contains, I think, the same ingredients with the exception of different amounts and different mixing process).

I'm not sure about the whole foods store. I'll have to check around and see what I can find; otherwise I can always do Amazon. I'm a frequent buyer off there anyway.

But I'll definitely check for both. So far I've not gone wrong with something of yours I have followed (made SMBC the first time successfully with your recipe). icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%