Think Ive Messed Up

Decorating By aella851 Updated 28 Nov 2011 , 2:04am by Foxicakes

aella851 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aella851 Posted 27 Nov 2011 , 11:15pm
post #1 of 7

I've used non toxic glitter which I got from the cake section from the hobbycraft. I've sprinkled it all over my daughters birthday cake and now I'm having a panic that its not edible now. Her birthday is in the morning. It's my first cake I've made her spent hours making it. :-s [/img]

6 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 27 Nov 2011 , 11:33pm
post #2 of 7

It will be fineicon_smile.gif
As 'non-toxic' it means it is not really meant to be eaten BUT.... it should not harm anyone (except someone who has a compramissed imune(sp?) system.)
Crayons and Elmer's glue are also non-toxic along with many, many other things. They are made that way because young children WILL put things in their mouths. It would take like a pint of the stuff to make someone even the least bit sick. What little is on a cake will not harm them icon_smile.gif

JSKConfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JSKConfections Posted 27 Nov 2011 , 11:46pm
post #3 of 7

One would think if its in the cake section its edible? All the label says is non toxic? Hmmm...I have all kinds of edible cake glitter, would be strange for them to put a non edible item in with the cake items. Call the store and ask? HTH

KathysCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathysCC Posted 28 Nov 2011 , 12:31am
post #4 of 7

Non-toxic does not mean it is edible. I wouldn't trust the store to put things in the right place.

If it is edible, the label should say so, otherwise, I would not consume it.

mrsbriggs06 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsbriggs06 Posted 28 Nov 2011 , 1:23am
post #5 of 7

from what i recall, edible means your body will process/break it down.

the glitter is, in fact, plastic, so your body will not break it down.. it will pass through your system. as mentioned above, it will take a considerable amount to make someone sick, etc.

i use it sparingly on things for family/friends, but only on items that won't be consumed for others (toppers, accents that can be removed, etc.)

mrsbriggs06 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsbriggs06 Posted 28 Nov 2011 , 1:23am
post #6 of 7

*double post icon_rolleyes.gif

Foxicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Foxicakes Posted 28 Nov 2011 , 2:04am
post #7 of 7

If memory serves me right, NONE of the "disco dusts" (i.e. "glitter") are labeled "edible". They are all just labeled non-toxic, in that they won't make you sick except in very large quantities.
Further, most of the petal dusts, etc. are also just considered non-toxic as most of them are made from plain ol' colored chalk.
You should be okay as long as the cake is not encrusted in glitter...

Quote by @%username% on %date%