Nutella As Filling?

Decorating By faitheve Updated 23 Jan 2007 , 3:34pm by CarolAnn

faitheve Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
faitheve Posted 23 Jan 2007 , 2:36am
post #1 of 34

Anyone ever use nutella hazelnut spread as a filling for a cake? If so, what type of cake/icing did you use it with. How was the taste??

Thanks icon_biggrin.gif

33 replies
nglez09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nglez09 Posted 23 Jan 2007 , 2:43am
post #2 of 34

I haven't, but I hear about it all the time. It's usually always paired with w/e BC the bakery/person prefers. HTH.

Kirei Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kirei Posted 23 Jan 2007 , 2:43am
post #3 of 34

You know, I've never tried that but it sounds really good. I would think that considering the taste, I would make a traditional vanilla/yellow cake. That to me would compliment it.

Edit: Oh with chocolate icing too. ^^v

swingme83 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
swingme83 Posted 23 Jan 2007 , 2:47am
post #4 of 34

PEANUT butter cake. i make peanut butter and nutella sandwichs all tehtime so i think a peanut butter cake would be fabulous with nutella.

bethola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethola Posted 23 Jan 2007 , 2:48am
post #5 of 34

I LOVE Nutella! And Nutella loves ME! That's why I can't eat it...it HANGS ON my hips forever! LOLL

I think it would be great with dark chocolate cake with chocolate bc icing! If no allergies....how about some chopped up hazelnuts mixed in for some texture?

Okay, now I HAVE to make this for my Pastor's Appreciation Dinner on Sunday!

Beth in KY

Kate714 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kate714 Posted 23 Jan 2007 , 2:51am
post #6 of 34

I've used it w/chocolate cake. I mix it with some cool whip so it's a little lighter and fluffier though. it's yummy!

stephaniescakenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephaniescakenj Posted 23 Jan 2007 , 2:54am
post #7 of 34

Nutella is absolutely fantastic! It goes great with chocolate cake and I've used both BC and chocolate BC and it's fantastic both ways!

Kellycreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kellycreations Posted 23 Jan 2007 , 2:55am
post #8 of 34

I mix some into my SMBC yummy!!! My favourite use for it is between layers of banana cake. It's also good with vanilla, hazelnut, mocha or chocolate cake.

LukeRubyJoy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LukeRubyJoy Posted 23 Jan 2007 , 2:56am
post #9 of 34

When I used it, I did a dark chocolate cake. I made buttercream, with 1/2 nutella and 1/2 butter. Then I used strong, dark coffee for my fluid. So I had this chocolate, hazelnut, coffee (slight, not overpowering) buttercream. It was delicious!!!!

Edited to say: If you want to see the color, I have it in my photos, it is the slightly topsy-turvy engagement cake with the "F" on it. icon_smile.gif

bethola Posted 23 Jan 2007 , 3:03am
post #10 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeRubyJoy

When I used it, I did a dark chocolate cake. I made buttercream, with 1/2 nutella and 1/2 butter. Then I used strong, dark coffee for my fluid. So I had this chocolate, hazelnut, coffee (slight, not overpowering) buttercream. It was delicious!!!!

Edited to say: If you want to see the color, I have it in my photos, it is the slightly topsy-turvy engagement cake with the "F" on it. icon_smile.gif

YUM-MEE! Can I "borrow" your recipe?

Beth in KY

angelas2babies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelas2babies Posted 23 Jan 2007 , 3:06am
post #11 of 34

It is by far one of the most popular fillings that I use. It goes amazing with a good butter cake. Great contrast in flavors. You just can't go wrong!!

Angie

golfgirl1227 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
golfgirl1227 Posted 23 Jan 2007 , 3:34am
post #12 of 34

There is a chocolate hazelnut ganache recipe from the Whimsical Bakehouse book. I haven't tried it, but it sounds good. I'll try to find my book (we just moved) and post the recipe if no one else has it, or if it's not on here already!

I would use chocolate cake because chocolate and hazelnut is the best!

But that nutella/coffee BC is sounding pretty great too!

flourgrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flourgrl Posted 23 Jan 2007 , 3:55am
post #13 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by bethola

I LOVE Nutella! And Nutella loves ME! That's why I can't eat it...it HANGS ON my hips forever! LOLL

Beth in KY

TOOOOO TRUE!!! I can't have the stuff in my house! I once ate a jar while watching tv! Just me, a spoon, and Nutella YUM!!!

I add it to SMBC it's sooo yummy....I like the idea of adding the chopped roasted hazelnuts for texture!

mthiberge Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mthiberge Posted 23 Jan 2007 , 4:04am
post #14 of 34

I'm of european decent (first generation canadian...) and nutella is in our blood...literally! LOL I love the stuff, but alas it too loves me...I have the same problem as bethola and flourgrl... the spoon, the jar the hips...

nglez09 Posted 23 Jan 2007 , 4:11am
post #15 of 34

I am guessing it has a nutty flavor? Where do you guys buy this stuff?

nadsquad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nadsquad Posted 23 Jan 2007 , 4:11am
post #16 of 34

I use it regularly as a filling for a double chocolate cake, as a barrier between my black raspberry filling and the cake so that the raspberry filling doesn't just soak into the cake (the fat content in the nutella makes it a waterproof barrier), so it is delicious and performs a very useful function as well!

milklady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milklady Posted 23 Jan 2007 , 4:13am
post #17 of 34

I've mixed it with chocolate pastry cream with wonderful results.

flourgrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flourgrl Posted 23 Jan 2007 , 4:14am
post #18 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by milklady

I've mixed it with chocolate pastry cream with wonderful results.

mmmmmmmm yum!!!!

You can find it in a grocery store, normally where the peanut butter is.....
DO NOT BUY CHOCOLATE PEANUT BUTTER, it IS NOT the same thing!

DianaMarieMTV Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianaMarieMTV Posted 23 Jan 2007 , 4:20am
post #19 of 34

I've had it on strawberry cake, banana bread, pancakes, waffles, pretty much everything!

nglez09 Posted 23 Jan 2007 , 4:26am
post #20 of 34

Thanks flourgirl, and you just put it in as any other filling? What's the consistency?

faitheve Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
faitheve Posted 23 Jan 2007 , 4:29am
post #21 of 34

I just bought my first jar today, and it was a mistake... I CANT LEAVE IT ALONE!!! And I am on a diet... it is evil. but soooooo good. And I am not even a huge sweet eater!!!!! I was thinking it would be AWESOME in cake!! But you can buy it right buy the peanut butter in all reg grocery stores. I have seen it everywhere. I am seriously thinking about getting rid of it before I eat the whole thing!

golfgirl1227 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
golfgirl1227 Posted 23 Jan 2007 , 5:37am
post #22 of 34

Oops, I was wrong. WBH has a hazelnut "mousse" with Nutella. I'm thinking it must have been Sherry Yard's book that has the ganache. Anyway, I'll see what I can find.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cookie4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cookie4 Posted 23 Jan 2007 , 6:37am
post #24 of 34

I too have used Nutella, not only on cakes but for Cake Balls /Cake Truffles - it's great. You can find it in all supermarkets, Target and WalMart. Beware, it's high in fat but oh so goooood!

KelCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KelCake Posted 23 Jan 2007 , 6:45am
post #25 of 34

Nutella is a little bit of heaven in your mouth!

I use white cake with nutella filling, ice it in cool whip. I top it off with toasted coconut and toasted almonds. Serve cold. Yummy!

hellie0h Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hellie0h Posted 23 Jan 2007 , 10:24am
post #26 of 34

I spread nutella on butter cookies, great as a filling in raised donuts, everyday, my 6 yr. old grandson has to have a nutella sandwich on white bread.

hellie0h Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hellie0h Posted 23 Jan 2007 , 10:49am
post #27 of 34

I spread nutella on butter cookies, great as a filling in raised donuts, everyday, my 6 yr. old grandson has to have a nutella sandwich on white bread.

bethola Posted 23 Jan 2007 , 1:47pm
post #28 of 34

WalMart! On the Peanut Butter Aisle! I can take you there blindfolded! How scary is that? LOLL

Beth in KY

sada Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sada Posted 23 Jan 2007 , 1:48pm
post #29 of 34

90% of kids in my country are nuttela addicts, and a huge number of adults as well. I usually add it to my buttercream and it works well. Last night i tried nuttela in batter of my chocolate cake, just reduced the amount of butter added nuttela and some haselnutt flavoring. It was nice moist and yummy cake.

tyty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tyty Posted 23 Jan 2007 , 2:14pm
post #30 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate714

I've used it w/chocolate cake. I mix it with some cool whip so it's a little lighter and fluffier though. it's yummy!

That sounds good, do you fold it in or whip it?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%