Best Brand Of Rolled Fondant???

Decorating By aoliveira Updated 8 May 2007 , 12:15pm by cakesbysam

aoliveira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aoliveira Posted 23 Jan 2007 , 2:27am
post #1 of 28

I currently use Wilton's rolled fondant and it works fine. I don't particularly enjoy the taste of fondant but it's convenient and things look great with it.

I'd like to try another brand, if anyone knows a better quality, better tasting, rolled fondant. I don't want to make my own.

Thanks,
Alex

27 replies
nglez09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nglez09 Posted 23 Jan 2007 , 2:31am
post #2 of 28

Satin Ice seems to be the preferred brand here.

Others are: Pettinice, ChocoPan, and Fondx.

divaricks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
divaricks Posted 23 Jan 2007 , 2:31am
post #3 of 28

I think Satin Ice wins this competition hands down - a little costly but worth it!

aoliveira Posted 23 Jan 2007 , 2:46am
post #4 of 28

Wow, thanks for the info. Where can I get Satin Ice? Is it on the web only, or do retail stores carry it as well.

Thanks again,
Alex

ShirleyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShirleyW Posted 23 Jan 2007 , 5:10am
post #5 of 28

My preferred brand is Fondx, but I think it is a matter of personal choice. I also like Pettinice Chocolate for chocolate cakes. Try them all over a period of time and then you will know which works best for you.

cakesbysam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbysam Posted 23 Jan 2007 , 3:47pm
post #6 of 28

Satin Ice fondant by far wins hands down! We will not use anything else.
www.cakesbysam.com

mnmmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mnmmommy Posted 23 Jan 2007 , 3:53pm
post #7 of 28

I thought I would give another vote for Satin Ice. I just tried pettinice and the flavor was alright but it wasn't as easy to work with. it doesn't seem to hold together very well.

gabesmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gabesmom Posted 23 Jan 2007 , 5:55pm
post #8 of 28

my vote is for Satin Ice. I use it all the time and it tastes great!!!

i believe you can get it directly from www.satinfinefoods.com. there is also Sweet n' Fancy Emporium in Cranford, NJ (they also have a website). I get the 20 lb. tub which cost $65.00 plus tax. if you get it directly from the website (satinfinefoods.com), you have to spend a min. of $100.00 but you end up getting 40 lbs.

moralna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moralna Posted 23 Jan 2007 , 6:24pm
post #9 of 28

Hands down - Satin Ice. Though it can be a little pricey, the taste is great - the chocolate tastes like Tootsie Roll - you can refridgerate SI and it gives such a great smooth look to cakes + it already comes in different colors. I get my SI from The Bakers Kitchen - i think it has the best prices for SI. For example of 5 pound tub at Cakes by Sam is $23.99 at the Bakers Kitchen, it is $19.99 and the 2 pound packs of colored fondant are $9.99 at the Bakers Kitchen, where at Cakes by Sam it is $12.99. Hope this helps.

yoktom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yoktom Posted 23 Jan 2007 , 8:19pm
post #10 of 28

I'll throw in a vote for FondX. I get it here locally, and love it. It is soft and pliable, but sets up fine for garnishments etc. I haven't tried Satin Ice though, and perhaps I may not know what I am missing! icon_smile.gif LOL

kimheflin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimheflin Posted 23 Jan 2007 , 9:12pm
post #11 of 28

2 Questions...

1) How long does the satin ice last after it has been opened?
2) How does it compare to the MMF?

moralna Posted 23 Jan 2007 , 9:15pm
post #12 of 28

Satin Ice can last for months if stored properly - that is wrapped in plastic. I keep it in the original tubs they come in and just keep wrapping them securely after I have used what I need and I keep it in a cool (not cold) area. For me personally, it is easier to handle than MMF - there is pliability without being to gummy and it lies on the cake so much nicer (again, for me) and it is a little whiter - if you use the white color.

aoliveira Posted 24 Jan 2007 , 3:38am
post #13 of 28

Hey guys, thanks for all the feedback. I have a couple of questions

I was just on the Satin Ice website and it says the cake can be frozen once it's covered in SI. But I know that the Wilton brand can't be fronzen. Does anybody know why? Or should I not freeze SI anyway.

And can anyone tell me the difference in taste between SI and Wilton Brand?

Thanks,
Alex

moralna Posted 24 Jan 2007 , 1:24pm
post #14 of 28

It could be the chemical makeup of each of the fondants that allows you to freeze one and not the ohter. I have never frozen a cake w/SI, but if there website says you can, then i am sure it would be alright. The difference in taste between Wilton and SI is that the Wilton fondant has a very terrible taste - very "chemically" and SI has a great vanilla flavor. You can tell the difference of each of the fondants even by the smell.

thecakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakemaker Posted 24 Jan 2007 , 1:32pm
post #15 of 28

I use SI also. It's easy to work with and tastes great - especially the chocolate. I've tried others that taste good but were hard to work with and others that were easy to work with but tasted terrible. I've refrigerated a cake with SI on it with no problem but never frozen one. It is a little more costly that some but you can roll it thinner so it works out in the end.

Debbie

HeatherMari Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HeatherMari Posted 24 Jan 2007 , 1:37pm
post #16 of 28

Hi all,
I have used Satin Ice and FondX and they are both great! They both have a nice vanilla taste although in my opinion the FondX is the better of the two. You can refrigerate it without condensation and it is really nice to work with. You can get it from Caljava (the manufacturer) but it is cheaper at www.cakedeco.com (Pfiel & Holing). It also comes in chocolate and premade colors.
Now, I know you said you didn't want to make your own BUT I recently gave in and made my own Marshmallow Fondant and WOW! I love it! The taste is great and the texture, I think, is not as chewy as regular fondant. It models great and you can flavor it whatever you want. You can also make chocolate. My dad, who is not a big fondant fan, really likes it! It soooo easy to make and totally worth it. If you ever have the time, make up a batch and see what you think. The recipe is on CC.
HTH,
HeatherMari

navywifetrat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
navywifetrat Posted 24 Jan 2007 , 1:39pm
post #17 of 28

Sorry if this is a stupid question, how far will 20 pounds go? I have 6 cakes that I will be doing for a wedding 6, 2 - 8's, 2 - 10's and 12 or 14. Will 20 pounds be enough?

moralna Posted 24 Jan 2007 , 1:48pm
post #18 of 28

I think you will be fine with 20 pounds; I bought a 20 pound bucket and the thing is HUGE!!! I have covered several cakes (about 5 8 inchers) + used it for some decorations and still have plenty left over.

navywifetrat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
navywifetrat Posted 24 Jan 2007 , 7:24pm
post #19 of 28

thanks moralna!

GRAMMASUE Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GRAMMASUE Posted 24 Jan 2007 , 7:39pm
post #20 of 28

I have to give my vote for marshmallow fondant, but then I only make cakes for family and friends - so I don't need large quantities. I really like the taste of marshmallow fondant and I also find it easy to work with. I've tasted the Satin Ice though, and it does have a good flavor. But for convenience, cost and taste - mmf!!

thecakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakemaker Posted 24 Jan 2007 , 7:41pm
post #21 of 28

I purchased 2 20lb buckets for centerpiece wedding cakes once - I wanted to make sure I had enough. There were 23 centerpiece wedding cakes (8" sq) with loopy bows on top (also made from the SI) and the cake for the head table. I hardly put a dent in one of the 20 lb buckets! I can say that the "leftovers" lasted over a year just by keeping them wrapped tightly and closed in the original container.

Debbie

moralna Posted 24 Jan 2007 , 8:43pm
post #22 of 28

yeap! As long as you keep it wrapped very well and keep the area clean and cool, the stuff stays fresh for a very long time. I think one of the best things of SI is that it's great to cover a cake and model with - at least for me. Unlike MMF, which is great to cover a cake but a little difficult to model with or the opposite of that is the Wilton fondant, which is great for modeling but tastes awful!

monica1296 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
monica1296 Posted 24 Jan 2007 , 9:27pm
post #23 of 28

I know you probably would like to buy pre-made fondant. If you are going for taste (and a good price), go for the Marshmallow Fondant recipe.
http://whatscookingamerica.net/PegW/Fondant.htm

I only make this kind and literally everyone loves it. My husband even loves is and he really doesn't like sweets (blasphemy!) icon_lol.gif Anyway, try it out, if you have time; I love it (and it's very easy too!)

Good luck with your search.
Monica

ShirleyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShirleyW Posted 25 Jan 2007 , 6:33pm
post #24 of 28

That is a good step by step Monica. I gave up using MMF because the texture wasn't always consistent, sometimes too sticky, sometimes too dry. Where Fondx or SatinIce are always dependable. But I know Marshmallow fondant tastes better to most people and think I will try this one more time when I have time to experiment.

superstar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
superstar Posted 26 Jan 2007 , 4:27am
post #25 of 28

I love Satin Ice, but I am going to buy some Fondx from Caljava when I visit California in April. I am also determined to try making th MMF soon. Wish there were 48 hours in the day & that I never get tired. LOL.
June

Dennysse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dennysse Posted 26 Jan 2007 , 4:44am
post #26 of 28

My first fondant cake I used Wilton.It tasted horrible.I was about to give up when I found the MMF recipe here in CC.Thats the only one I use now and it works perfectly and Ive even used coconut extract to flavor it.Its cheap and easy to make.But I want to try the SI anyway,just in case.

missyek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missyek Posted 26 Jan 2007 , 4:55am
post #27 of 28

Okayk I will say this, I LOVE Wilton Fondant for the texture--it is absolutely one of the best fondants to work with. BUT, there is the taste... thumbsdown.gif I did MMF for awhile ans was like Shirley where I could never get each recipe consistent. So know I use Satin Ice exclusivley. Great vanilla flavor, a little soft to work with, but I love it. I have only tried Chocopan other than that and did not car for it at all. I got my 20 lbs. of Satin Ice from Pheil & Holing for $55.50. Not sure what shipping was since I ordered a few other items, but it was most likely around $10.00.

cakesbysam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbysam Posted 8 May 2007 , 12:15pm
post #28 of 28

Satin Ice is the prefered Fondant for our customers. Our company alone sells over 20,000 pounds per year. So that should tell you something. Also, for the taste-we flavor ours with Lorann candy flavorings.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%