Help Please!

Decorating By howboutbake Updated 25 Nov 2011 , 7:35pm by howboutbake

howboutbake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
howboutbake Posted 23 Nov 2011 , 8:21pm
post #1 of 13

Hi guys,

So I just got a call from a friend of a friend who wants a baby shower cake for Saturday and I don't know this person at all.

I've never made a cake for someone who wasn't family (and none of them were fancy) and the perfectionist in me is kind of freaking out!

So here are the stats:

25 people.

Don't know the sex of the baby.

Any flavor.

I'd really like this cake to be nice....and really adorable without biting off more than I can chew.

I've worked a little bit with fondant and gumpaste but I really don't know how I should budget my time between now and Friday.

What should I do first, second, etc?

Do I have time to make gumpaste figurines if I need to?

How big should this cake be for 25 people?

Any design ideas?? Flavors?

If you have ANYTHING to offer I'd be glad to hear it! icon_biggrin.gif

12 replies
bakingpw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingpw Posted 23 Nov 2011 , 8:54pm
post #2 of 13

Well...do you know if the customer would like it done in "baby colors/theme" though they don't know the sex? Perhaps using pale yellow, light green, and/or pale blue and pink would be nice. Some baby shower are done more for the mommy - and in that case, the silhouette of pregnant mom is easy to make out of fondant and placed on the top of a sheet cake. For a sheet cake, I'd make a 1/4 sheet - 3 layers cake, 2 layers filling.

If you want to make a 2 tier, I'd make a 10" and a 6" cake. I'd put something standing up on the top if you choose to make a tier cake - maybe baby booties - which could be made ahead of time. I've done the booties out of cupcakes before and then they can be eaten and cute decor.

You should have time for gumpaste to dry, if you choose to go this way. There are a million different baby shower cakes - all would be adorable. But, since it is a very busy holiday weekend, and you got short notice with the order, I'd go for something simple, not stressful.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 23 Nov 2011 , 9:06pm
post #3 of 13

Ask for the color scheme of the party, or to see an invitation to get an idea for the design.

As far as the size, a 10" and 6" serves 50. If they don't want to pay for more than 25 servings, an 8" round two-layer serves 24 or a 9" serves 32. I like the look of the 10" and 6" and it's one of the combinations I make most often, but it really depends on what your customer is willing to pay for.

bakingpw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingpw Posted 23 Nov 2011 , 9:11pm
post #4 of 13

I agree with asking for an invitation - I always find that helpful. Wow ~ I would never make a 10" and 6" to serve 50! But that's me... I realize some of the charts are quite small servings.

One other thing that impacts how big, unless you charge per serving, is what else will be served. i.e. if a lunch will be served, smaller pieces will be enough. If the shower is in the mid-afternoon, I'd opt for larger pieces. Of course, this is only is you do not serve per serving but by the cake size.

howboutbake Posted 23 Nov 2011 , 9:24pm
post #5 of 13

Thanks guys...especially for the sizing...that helps a lot!

As far as I know...she isn't paying (it's more like a favor). I've never been paid for a cake icon_smile.gif

Baby showers around here are pretty casual. (I've never been to one with a nice cake)..there usually aren't decorations or themes but maybe I'll ask about the colours.

I've got the impression that I have carte blanche...which is good.

Here are some ideas I thought I might be able to pull off...let me know what ya think!

http://pinterest.com/pin/1125968626341378/

http://pinterest.com/pin/65583738293078777/

http://pinterest.com/pin/183619360/

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 23 Nov 2011 , 10:09pm
post #6 of 13

Those are really cute. Since you only have a few days for figures to dry, if you do the bunny or the whale, I'd use rice krispie treats or styrofoam for the middle.

About the serving sizes...my tiers are usually at least 5" tall so the 2"x1" serving doesn't seem small at all icon_biggrin.gif

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 23 Nov 2011 , 10:24pm
post #7 of 13

Love those cakes. The pea in the pod cake is cute...and you wouldn't necessarily have to wait until the pod or the peas and baby face inside are completely dry. As long as the pod is solid enough to hold the peas inside, you could use it. Besides it's cute. So are the others. You are wise to go simple. I would find out about what decor they are planning on using. Even the most casual showers have some kind of color theme.
Good luck and post your picture!

howboutbake Posted 23 Nov 2011 , 10:52pm
post #8 of 13

Thanks again!

Whoo....ok the nerves are better now.

I never thought of rice krispies for the figurines. That's wicked. If I can't find the styrofoam I need I'll definitely try that!

The peas in a pod cake is really cute...but the instructions call for carving cake into that pod shape and making cake balls with melted buttercream icing (?)...and I haven't done any of that before.... it doesn't seem that hard though...

She's going to call soon about the colours so I'll make my decision then.

Prayers that I don't end up on cake wrecks please! icon_biggrin.gif

jgifford Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jgifford Posted 23 Nov 2011 , 10:55pm
post #9 of 13

I've always considered instructions to be more like suggestions - - and subject to change. Do what you're comfortable with. What counts is the final look and taste and whether or not you survive. icon_smile.gif

BeccaW40 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeccaW40 Posted 23 Nov 2011 , 10:58pm
post #10 of 13

Would love to see a photo wheny you are done. I made a very simple 2 tier square cake for a shower, and did neutral colors out of fondant to make it look like a baby quilt, then added baby shower candies you can buy at Michael's, JoAnn's, Target, or Walmart. On the top, I put a real binky and a small bottle. They loved it. I love the Peas in a Pod cake!!!

howboutbake Posted 23 Nov 2011 , 11:38pm
post #11 of 13

OK...another question.

If I do a 10" cake and 6" cake, would I need to stack them with some sort of support? Straws, etc?

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 25 Nov 2011 , 6:19pm
post #12 of 13

I hope I'm not too late with this info!
10x4 and 6x3 is much more cake than you need - especially since you are doing this for free! Just the 10" round would be more than enough.
I understand you wanting it to be really special but consider how much this is going to cost you - not only in time but also for ingredients!

O.k. for support place in the 10"er 3 plastic drink straws in a triangle within a 5" circle. That is plenty of support for a 6" cake icon_smile.gif
Make sure you place them after the cake has been iced - using just one where the cake looks like it might be a bit higher/taller then the rest of the cake. Remove it and cut the other 2 exactly the same heigth.

I suggest you take pictures as you go while making this, along with the finished creation icon_smile.gif It will be helpful in making future cakes.

howboutbake Posted 25 Nov 2011 , 7:35pm
post #13 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by kakeladi

I hope I'm not too late with this info!
10x4 and 6x3 is much more cake than you need - especially since you are doing this for free! Just the 10" round would be more than enough.
I understand you wanting it to be really special but consider how much this is going to cost you - not only in time but also for ingredients!

O.k. for support place in the 10"er 3 plastic drink straws in a triangle within a 5" circle. That is plenty of support for a 6" cake icon_smile.gif
Make sure you place them after the cake has been iced - using just one where the cake looks like it might be a bit higher/taller then the rest of the cake. Remove it and cut the other 2 exactly the same heigth.

I suggest you take pictures as you go while making this, along with the finished creation icon_smile.gif It will be helpful in making future cakes.

ahhhh thanks so much famous kakeladi! icon_wink.gif (I'm using your WASC by the way!)

I honestly don't mind paying for this cake because...well...lets say its a really nice thing for a younger girl who is not going to have something special to herself for a really long time.

I won't make a habit of it, I promise! The price of butter just kills me. icon_biggrin.gif

Thanks a bunch for that stacking advice. I was really nervous about it!

I've decided to do the bunny topper and I'll take pictures icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%