Help With My Acrylic Cake Stand

Decorating By Catalina83 Updated 23 Nov 2011 , 8:00pm by Catalina83

Catalina83 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Catalina83 Posted 22 Nov 2011 , 3:29am
post #1 of 11

I just bought an acrylic cake stand and plan on using it very soon. The bottom plate is 14" and will hold cupcakes. The middle plate is 8" and will hold a cake, the top plate is 6" and will also hold a cake. What is the best way to stack the 2 cakes on this cake stand? Sorry, I have never used a cake stand like this and would need step by step directions. Usually when I stand a cake I use plastic dowels but I would really like to use this new stand. I was unable to attach my picture but here in a link to the stand I bought. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

http://www.efavormart.com/acrylic-cake-stand-plates.aspx

10 replies
Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 22 Nov 2011 , 4:06am
post #2 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catalina83

I just bought an acrylic cake stand and plan on using it very soon. The bottom plate is 14" and will hold cupcakes. The middle plate is 8" and will hold a cake, the top plate is 6" and will also hold a cake. What is the best way to stack the 2 cakes on this cake stand? Sorry, I have never used a cake stand like this and would need step by step directions. Usually when I stand a cake I use plastic dowels but I would really like to use this new stand. I was unable to attach my picture but here in a link to the stand I bought. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

http://www.efavormart.com/acrylic-cake-stand-plates.aspx

Hi and welcome to the forum. You cannot put a cake on the middle 8" stand unless you make a hole in the center and lower it down onto the 8" plate, then attach the top plate where you will place your 6" cake.

A stand with a pillar in the middle like the one shown is typically filled with cupcakes on the bottom and middle plates, and only a 6" cake is placed on the top. You could do what I suggested (cut a hole in the 8" cake), but it is a hassle.

Catalina83 Posted 22 Nov 2011 , 9:07pm
post #3 of 11

Thanks Apti! I think I'll change the style of the cake

Apti Posted 22 Nov 2011 , 10:00pm
post #4 of 11

You are very welcome. I'm a hobby baker and recently I made my biggest project to date for a 100th birthday party. Because of the logistics involved, I wasn't able to stack cakes, so I purchased 4 acrylic stands: 14/12/10/8"

My stands were beautiful and really added to the presentation. I strongly suggest you bring a level with you and make sure your plates are level. This was my first time using the stands and the orange cake stand wasn't quite level. (Nobody noticed that but me.)

Here's my website with the photos (you have to scroll down to the bottom of each photo to read the explanation on that photo).

http://christinascakes.shutterfly.com/pictures/340

Photo album: http://christinascakes.shutterfly.com/pictures/8

kathie-d Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kathie-d Posted 22 Nov 2011 , 10:22pm
post #5 of 11

Is it too late to cancel your order???? I bought this stand a while ago and it is really pretty flimsy and doesn't stand straighticon_sad.gif Sorry. I ended up buying another one on ebay that is fabulous but Efavormary is pretty crappy for returns and customer services so I sucked it up as a lesson learned.

Catalina83 Posted 22 Nov 2011 , 10:44pm
post #6 of 11

Apti,
Love your cakes! I just started baking and still have a lot to learn. Do you have any special tips for icing cakes? When I put butter cream on my cake it always comes out uneven. I have such a hard time getting that even smooth finish. Also, how were you able to create the texture of the skull cake you made.

Catalina83 Posted 22 Nov 2011 , 10:49pm
post #7 of 11

Kathie-d

I just received the cake stand and it is very flimsy but I thought all of them were pretty much the same way. Efavormary has horrible customer service I don't think they would let me return the stand.

kathie-d Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kathie-d Posted 22 Nov 2011 , 11:06pm
post #8 of 11

Yes, their customer service is very, very, very bad! I decided it was more hassel than it was worth to try and return it...you have to send it back then you order something else then you get a credit minus a restocking fee of course! So I never did return mine...it just sits in a box taking up space.
All cupcake towers are definitely NOT the same.
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/7-TIER-MAYPOLE-PILLAR-WEDDING-CUP-CAKE-TOWER-CAKE-STAND-/110464365735?pt=Uk_Crafts_Cake_Decorating_MJ&hash=item19b83074a7

This is where I ordered mine from, there is also a US company on ebay that carries the same ones. Great quality and actually made of acrylic...the ones from efavormart feel more like plastic to me.

cakegrandma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegrandma Posted 22 Nov 2011 , 11:32pm
post #9 of 11

I got one from ebay and it shipped from the UK company, not sure if it is the one listed on kathie-d's example or not. I broke one leg that braces the other tiers and asked them what the price of a new leg would be and even though I do not remember the exact price it was not cheap. I don't mean a price of 10.00 or so, I mean like 40.00. Definitely not worth it to me.

Apti Posted 23 Nov 2011 , 1:04am
post #10 of 11
Quote:

I just received the cake stand and it is very flimsy but I thought all of them were pretty much the same way. Efavormart has horrible customer service I don't think they would let me return the stand.

Catalina83~~Your stand should be fine. The weight of the larger bottom on the display will help support the structure. This is the one I purchased:
http://www.weddingcakestand.net/cascading_cake_stands/clear_wedding_cake_stand.html

Like you, I assume that most stands of this type are somewhat flimsy. But these held up beautifully. When I talked about one stand not being level, that was because when I assembled them at the church, I was in a rush and didn't think to stand back and check to make sure I had pushed the plate level. Mine disassemble and can be stored in a flat box. With care, I don't expect any problems if I use them again. As a hobby baker, I certainly wasn't going to pay $200+ for a one time event.

Quote:

Apti, Love your cakes! I just started baking and still have a lot to learn. Do you have any special tips for icing cakes? When I put butter cream on my cake it always comes out uneven. I have such a hard time getting that even smooth finish. Also, how were you able to create the texture of the skull cake you made.

Thanks for the lovely compliment! I started doing cakes in Feb 2010 and learned at the Wilton classes at my local Michael's store. I'm retired, did it on a whim, and had ZERO cake or artistic skills. Had no idea it would become a passion! I have since taken some other classes, but most of it is practice after you get the basics.

Send me a private message with your regular email and I'll be able to send you some really helpful information on getting level cakes and smooth buttercream along with some other teaching links. (The level cakes document is kinda long and I don't know how to do the PDF thing.)

This was my first time making the skull cake. I ended up making 3 of them and posted all my how-to information and tips and mistakes on this thread:

http://www.wilton.com/forums/messageview.cfm?catid=5&threadid=157138

Catalina83 Posted 23 Nov 2011 , 8:00pm
post #11 of 11

Apti,

For some reason I am not able to send you a private message. Can you please send me one and I will reply with my email address. I would love to read whatever information you have. I'm thinking of taking the classes at Micheal's as a small business owner I'm very busy but if they are well worth it I will make the time

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%