Difference Between Swiss Meringue And Regular Butter Cream?

Decorating By sweettreat101 Updated 22 Nov 2011 , 12:26am by AnnieCahill

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 21 Nov 2011 , 8:04pm
post #1 of 7

Texture, sweetness. I have never had Swiss Meringue butter cream but someone suggested it for my apple pie cupcakes. I'd really like to give it a try. Does anyone have a good recipe to share?

6 replies
AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 21 Nov 2011 , 8:33pm
post #2 of 7

There is a huge difference between the two types. I use an Italian Meringue buttercream which is nearly identical to the Swiss except the preparation is different. Meringue buttercreams are very rich and silky and there is zero powdered sugar so there's no grit or sugar crunch from that. MBCs don't crust which can be a problem for some people. Since you're doing cupcakes I wouldn't worry about the crusting issue.

The main things to remember are:

1. Use UNSALTED butter.
2. Use LOTS of flavoring (I use 2-3 tablespoons for one batch)
3. If you add the butter and it looks all curdled, keep beating! It will come back together.
4. If you add in the butter and it starts to melt, pop it in the fridge for a couple of minutes or grab a bag of frozen veggies and wrap it around the mixer bowl.

This buttercream will always come together. I use Warren Brown's IMBC recipe which you can find on YouTube. I add an extra 1/2 cup of sugar to the recipe (1/4 in the syrup and another 1/4 into the meringue as it's beating).

Annie

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 21 Nov 2011 , 9:02pm
post #3 of 7

Hi, this is one recipe. But you will find some more on this site. Also on youtube. After i make the smbc, i then add in the caramel at the end. I make jodief caramel recipe from this site. It is so good and easy to make. My husband just wants to eat it with a spoon. lol!! There is also a lady on youtube(dyanbakes) that shows how to make it. There is also a person from this site that shows how she makes hers. Her site is beyond buttercream. All this is on her blog. I just can,t think of her user name here. It is all good instructions that i am giving you to look up. hth

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 21 Nov 2011 , 9:07pm
post #4 of 7

This is the one from fromscratch

AnnieCahill Posted 21 Nov 2011 , 9:07pm
post #5 of 7

FromScratchSF

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 21 Nov 2011 , 9:43pm
post #6 of 7

Does it have to be refrigerated?

AnnieCahill Posted 22 Nov 2011 , 12:26am
post #7 of 7

Absolutely. I have left mine out for at least two days before, but it needs to be refrigerated.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%