Preventing Fibers From Getting In Fondant...... Help?!

Decorating By Daniellemhv Updated 29 Mar 2014 , 4:18pm by 7031annie

Daniellemhv Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Daniellemhv Posted 20 Nov 2011 , 1:46pm
post #1 of 21

I am having a heck of a time preventing fabric fibers from getting in my fondant as I'm working with it. Mostly noticable in the yellow and white fondant figures. I wear tight white tank tops while I work (at home of course) I'm clean, I wash my hands. My work area is completely cleaned and sanitized..... It's almost impossible and very unsightly IMO. I can only imagine a customer ohhhing and awwing over these little figures and then discovering random black specks and what looks like small hairs in something they want to eat!

I'm at a loss for ideas..

20 replies
blissfulbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blissfulbaker Posted 20 Nov 2011 , 2:06pm
post #2 of 21

Use a piece of scrap fondant to delint with. Rub it on your hands, rolling pin, and work surface, then throw it away. I also use a lint roller over my clothes. Always avoid wearing fleece and sweaters when you work with it, since those are big lint attractors. I like using The Mat when rolling out fondant because that helps with keeping lint off of it.

Serena4016 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Serena4016 Posted 20 Nov 2011 , 2:33pm
post #3 of 21

Good Luck!! I don't see any way, honestly. It happens to me also and I just pick it/them out of the fondant. Short of working in a vacume sealed, sterilized enviroment where we scrub down and wear sterilized garments, hair nets or head coverings, gloves, etc...I think that it is damn close to impossible to prevent dust, lint, etc. from occasionally sticking to the stuff. I am certainly open to any suggestions also!!

Daniellemhv Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Daniellemhv Posted 20 Nov 2011 , 5:39pm
post #4 of 21

Thanks blissful baker. I'll remember that!

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 20 Nov 2011 , 6:33pm
post #5 of 21

Whew! I thought it was just me.

cupcake_cutie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcake_cutie Posted 20 Nov 2011 , 6:47pm
post #6 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apti

Whew! I thought it was just me.

So did I! thumbs_up.gif Thanks blissful for that tip.

Cosima Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cosima Posted 20 Nov 2011 , 7:00pm
post #7 of 21

Great post! I'm having the same issues and so thankful it's not just me. I get so frustrated because whenever I think my work-surface is clean of any lint, no matter what, they still appear. I also find that the lil suckers adhere onto my sponge pad when I'm forming and found myself using the lint roller on it. That did help but my-o-my how frustrating its been.

heartsnsync Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heartsnsync Posted 20 Nov 2011 , 8:47pm
post #8 of 21

I was having this issue as well and found my main source was the apron I was wearing. It was black and it did not seem to have any lint coming from it but it did! I have now switched to all white aprons as well as the white shirt when doing light colored fondant and anytime I am caking I wear a nurse's cap that I have tucked all my hair up into.

BakerzJoy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakerzJoy Posted 20 Nov 2011 , 9:40pm
post #9 of 21

OMG....I was embarrassed to post that this was happening to me and you did it....THANK YOU SO MUCH!! I am like everyone else in saying I thought I was the only one....It's so freakin irritating!!
All I do is toothpick them out and it causes holes and frustration. I would love to continue to hear feedback on this one.

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 20 Nov 2011 , 10:23pm
post #10 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by heartsnsync

I was having this issue as well and found my main source was the apron I was wearing. It was black and it did not seem to have any lint coming from it but it did! I have now switched to all white aprons as well as the white shirt when doing light colored fondant and anytime I am caking I wear a nurse's cap that I have tucked all my hair up into.

The moral of the story is, lint is on EVERYTHING. But, you can see it on fondant, so it's gross. Does anyone think that the white aprons don't spew lint? They do. We just can't see it! icon_smile.gif

heartsnsync Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heartsnsync Posted 20 Nov 2011 , 10:32pm
post #11 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by DianeLM

The moral of the story is, lint is on EVERYTHING. But, you can see it on fondant, so it's gross. Does anyone think that the white aprons don't spew lint? They do. We just can't see it! icon_smile.gif

I know, but I can't see it and neither can my customers so I can just make believe it's not there! icon_biggrin.gif

tbkimber Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tbkimber Posted 20 Nov 2011 , 11:33pm
post #12 of 21

I found that fibers from the towel I was using to dry my hands with were leaving fibers on my hands. I couldn't see them but they were showing up in my gumpaste. I switched to paper towels and that helped me a lot. The brown tri-fold paper towels that are used in a lot of public restrooms seemed to shed fibers the least and I was able to find them at my Costco.

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 21 Nov 2011 , 12:29am
post #13 of 21

I was told also to not work in jeans. Theyre a terrible source of dark lint. I keep meaning to buy lint free scrubs for caking. Maybe I'll ask for some for Xmas. I'm going to buy a nurses cap too. I'm not a fan of hair nets

SweetDelites Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetDelites Posted 21 Nov 2011 , 12:36am
post #14 of 21

So it's not just me, I will be trying some of the suggestions on here. THANKS!! thumbs_up.gif

Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 21 Nov 2011 , 2:39am
post #15 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by sillywabbitz

I was told also to not work in jeans. Theyre a terrible source of dark lint. I keep meaning to buy lint free scrubs for caking. Maybe I'll ask for some for Xmas. I'm going to buy a nurses cap too. I'm not a fan of hair nets

Natural fabrics tend to lose fiber and jeans are made of cotton. While 100% lint free is impossible, wearing clothes that are not cotton, linen, etc. does help. I have a couple of athletic-type jerseys and capris that are polyester and tightly woven and they shed much less int and fibers than my cotton t shirts.

FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 21 Nov 2011 , 5:49am
post #16 of 21

May feel a little pretentious, but get yourself a chef's coat and wear it when you are caking. Makes a HUGE difference. You can get them for $15 or so at restaurant supply stores or off Amazon for around $25.

Oh, and use paper towels, not fabric, preferably Viva but I've been getting Costco brand and have been quite happy with them.

Tiffany Lewis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tiffany Lewis Posted 4 Jun 2013 , 6:58pm
post #17 of 21

ASo glad this isn't just me this is happening to! I switched from fabric aprons to the disposable ones, but still manage to get lint in there! Frustration isn't the word for it! Lol. I just pick it out n smooth my icing over then inspect it before applying to my cakes :-) x

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 4 Jun 2013 , 7:18pm
post #18 of 21

I use scrap fondant to pull it all off my hands and work surface and rolling pins before I get started. I use paper towel for everything when decorating, though I will use cloth towel when baking, since I wash my hands SO often.

iheartpastries Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iheartpastries Posted 29 Mar 2014 , 6:50am
post #19 of 21

AOmg!! I'm so glad to find it's not just me!! It drives me crazy!! & sooo embarrassing. I too pick the fibers out with a toothpick! I thought it was hilarious to see that someone else does this same thing!!! Lolololol!!!!! So grateful for all these tips. I will try them all!! Lol

lark6209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lark6209 Posted 29 Mar 2014 , 2:46pm
post #20 of 21

You guys made my day!  I was so embarrassed that I work myself to death to keep things as clean as possible and I still wind up picking lint.  Like others, I thought I was the only one!

Thanks!

7031annie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7031annie Posted 29 Mar 2014 , 4:18pm
post #21 of 21

Thank you so much for posting this and to everyone for ides to lessen the lint issue. It drives me crazy and glad to know I'm not only one in the driven crazy by lint club. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%