Tutorials On Standing Figures

Decorating By joanneeland81 Updated 18 Nov 2011 , 11:36am by joanneeland81

joanneeland81 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joanneeland81 Posted 16 Nov 2011 , 12:06pm
post #1 of 5

Hi, does anyone know if there are any photo or video tutorials on how to make standing figures? I need to make a standing man for a golf themed 40th birthday cake. He will be bent over slightly with a golf club resting on the ground in between his hands if you know what I mean.

I did a trial run a couple of days ago with gumpaste, but the arms just wouldn't stick despite using edible glue and drying it out flat with the arms held in the proper position! Maybe gumpaste is too heavy for the arms?

Any help would be appreciated. I'm new to making figures. I suppose a sitting down person would be just a cute, but I wanted to give the cake height and stand him beside a flag with 40 on it for the birthday boy!

Thanks everyone

Jo

4 replies
AnotherCreation Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnotherCreation Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnotherCreation Posted 16 Nov 2011 , 12:43pm
post #3 of 5

Sorry.. That thread is good too, but this is the one i meant
http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-672099.html

LisaPeps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaPeps Posted 16 Nov 2011 , 5:14pm
post #4 of 5

In my golf cake, I used Lorraine McKays tutorials as a starting point. I used fondant with tylose added. The legs each have a toothpick in them, then one to hold the head to the body. The golf club was a toothpick covered in fondant which was positioned so it would go into the cake slighty for added support. I used small pieces of spaghetti to hold each arm on. I dried it standing up (without the head attached) stuck into styrofoam with silica gel placed around it (not touching) all within a box with lid.

joanneeland81 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joanneeland81 Posted 18 Nov 2011 , 11:36am
post #5 of 5

thanks for the responses!! I've just downloaded Lorraine's tutorials and I have to say, they are really great, step-by-step guides. I'm going to have another practice run this weekend and I will let you know how I get on!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%