What Is The Best Brand Of Candy Melts To Use For Cake Pops?

Baking By Heather_bakes Updated 7 Mar 2014 , 6:45pm by Rachel S

Heather_bakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Heather_bakes Posted 2 Nov 2011 , 1:34am
post #1 of 12

I have been using the wilton ones and loose ones purchased from bulk barn and I am getting really really inconsistent results. So so far my cake pops have been costing me a fortune to make icon_sad.gif And they have been kinda frustrating.

They tend to be lumpy and burn before they ever get thin enough to cover a pop nicely.

11 replies
SnLSweetEscapes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SnLSweetEscapes Posted 2 Nov 2011 , 1:46am
post #2 of 12

I agree with you about the Wilton melts. I do not like their colors. Half the time I can't even get them to melt even when I do it exactly like it says. I usually get my colors once a season is over, you know like black after Halloween. I store them in sealed containers and still they don't work right even when I add a little bit of shortening. I have started to use the "bark" and it seems to work better. I can't wait to hear what others have to say.

KatsSuiteCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KatsSuiteCakes Posted 2 Nov 2011 , 1:58am
post #3 of 12

I exclusively use bark, or morsels for my cake pops with a couple of tablespoons of shortening for a smoother consistency.

The only thing I use the candy melts for, is to pipe colored detail to the finished pops.

sechrestloans Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sechrestloans Posted 2 Nov 2011 , 2:13am
post #4 of 12

I use Merkens.. they melt great or bark

Heather_bakes Posted 2 Nov 2011 , 2:20am
post #5 of 12

I am sorry but what do you mean by morsels or bark? Is this a brand or do you mean chocolate bark?

writersblock15 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
writersblock15 Posted 2 Nov 2011 , 5:30pm
post #6 of 12

I agree with KatsSuiteCakes. I only use real chocolate for candy melts unless I need color detailing. I'll either use chocolate morsels or baking bars. The baking bars tend to melt a little thinner than morsels. To thin the morsels, I add a little bit of shortening.

Heather_bakes Posted 2 Nov 2011 , 5:47pm
post #7 of 12

so what if there is a lot of color? Can you dye the white chocolate? Or do you use the candy melts then?

KatsSuiteCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KatsSuiteCakes Posted 2 Nov 2011 , 5:54pm
post #8 of 12

If you want a solid color for your pops, then candy melts are likely your best option. You can color morsels, baking bars and bark, but in my experience the results are not worth the $$ and effort. You will need to use Lorann's Oil based food color (I believe, that's who makes it).

I tried blending gel food color with shortening before adding to my melted bark. It worked, but was very temperamental. Kept wanting to seize, so I ditched that idea..........lol.

Morsels, also known as Chocolate/White/Butterscotch etc. chips.
The bark can be found at your supermarket in the baking aisle by the Chocolate Chips. It comes in a fairly good sized bar that is scored for melting a few squares at a time.

Kat

Heather_bakes Posted 3 Nov 2011 , 3:16am
post #9 of 12

ok thank you. That helps. I want to make the mario mushroom pops from Bakerella, so I need white and red. Maybe I will use white morsels for the white then and look for some better candy melts for the red. I will try to find Merkens icon_smile.gif

ber09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ber09 Posted 8 May 2013 , 8:33pm
post #10 of 12

merckens is the best!! once i found out about them, i never went back to wilton! The only bad thing is that i can only find them online

MariaK38 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MariaK38 Posted 9 May 2013 , 10:31am
post #11 of 12

I like the Chocomaker melts (in 2 lb.bags at HL or Flower Factory).  It's actually fountain ready chocolate, but they work great for cake pops, too.  Stays very liquidy after melting for a good amount of time, extra drips off the pop very well, and sets up quickly.

For white chocolate, I still like the Chocomaker, but if I need a white white color (like for wedding cake pops), I like Merckens super white, just add some paramount crystals if needed to thin out a bit.

Rachel S Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rachel S Posted 7 Mar 2014 , 6:45pm
post #12 of 12

I use chocomaker melts too for white/ milk or dark chocolate. I usually mix a little of that white chocolate into the wilton candy melts if the color allows. Otherwise you can add in crisco which will make it a much easier texture for dipping. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%