Manners When Asking Questions

Lounge By kathyx1 Updated 29 Oct 2011 , 2:39am by cabecakes

kathyx1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kathyx1 Posted 27 Oct 2011 , 12:56am
post #1 of 9

Am I expecting too much when asked a question about my cakes for the person to use simple social graces such as 'hello', 'please', or 'thank you'. I've had a few pm now asking (demanding) how I did something. Manners go a long way!

8 replies
JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 27 Oct 2011 , 1:34am
post #2 of 9

I don't think so. But it's a question that is asked every now and then....

Send me instructions @... Tell me how you did this!...

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=669183&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=gratitude&&start=0

How do you feel answering PM when they ask like this??

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-603551.html

HTH

cakelady2266 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelady2266 Posted 27 Oct 2011 , 1:39am
post #3 of 9

Apparently manners are a thing of the past. It died out with common sense.

kathyx1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kathyx1 Posted 27 Oct 2011 , 2:09am
post #4 of 9

Oh, I hadn't seen the other posts. It makes me feel a little better that I'm not the only one. I won't feel mean now when I simply won't respond to a demand icon_smile.gif

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 27 Oct 2011 , 2:07pm
post #5 of 9

Don't feel mean at all by not replying. icon_smile.gif

Marina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marina Posted 27 Oct 2011 , 3:01pm
post #6 of 9

Manners need to start at an early age. We teach my granddaughter to say please, thank you, hello, etc. and we started this last year when she was 1. She's almost 2 now and always says please or thank you. I work in an elementary school and we talk about manners because it seems like more and more children are not taught these skills at home. Just this morning a little girl dropped off the attendance and I said "thank you" 4 times!!! She didn't even acknowledge me!!!! Ok, that's my rant for today.

QTCakes1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
QTCakes1 Posted 27 Oct 2011 , 4:39pm
post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marina

Manners need to start at an early age. We teach my granddaughter to say please, thank you, hello, etc. and we started this last year when she was 1. She's almost 2 now and always says please or thank you. I work in an elementary school and we talk about manners because it seems like more and more children are not taught these skills at home. Just this morning a little girl dropped off the attendance and I said "thank you" 4 times!!! She didn't even acknowledge me!!!! Ok, that's my rant for today.

So true! Even when they are little babies and they can't talk, we teach them to say please and thank you. Of course they can't say it, but they hear it. When they are able to talk arounf 1 1/2 and 2, they are saying it on their own.

I no longer respond to request from PM's, cause of the lack of a response of thank you. icon_sad.gif

QTCakes1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
QTCakes1 Posted 27 Oct 2011 , 4:44pm
post #8 of 9

Oh, and just for the record, I know we were all new at one time, but no, I didn't ask anyone for directions for every single thing, every single time. Some things you just have to work out in your head how it's done and somethings can simply be googled. And for the record there is no "Best cake flavor for a wedding cake" or "Best fondant" or "Best buttercream for a wedding/birthday cake". A lot of things are about personal preference and you'll have to figure out for yourself. Okay, off my soap box. icon_biggrin.gif

cabecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cabecakes Posted 29 Oct 2011 , 2:39am
post #9 of 9

Todays generation is all about the quick fix (answer), how much drama can be interjected into a situation, and satisfying his/her highness. I just don't get it. I see it on here all the time...how do you do this...how do you do that...send me directions at this address. What the heck? Does no one know how to read anymore? Nearly any question you could possibly think of to ask is already answered in some form or another on here...all you have to do is do some searching and reading. I don't mind answering any request for information, but all to often it doesn't come as a request but more a demand. I think we should all go back to kindergarden and refresh our please, may I, thank you, yes Mr/Miss/Mrs or No thank you madame or sir. I hate to think that manners and respect are a thing of the past, but it sure isn't looking good.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%