Help!

Decorating By Anakalia Updated 23 Jan 2007 , 2:43am by RisqueBusiness

Anakalia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Anakalia Posted 22 Jan 2007 , 11:31pm
post #1 of 12

I am making a cake for my aunt's 50th birthday. Her daughter wants to have her (my aunt's) high school graduation photo on the cake. Would I need to do a fbct for this, or something else?

11 replies
karensjustdessert Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karensjustdessert Posted 22 Jan 2007 , 11:36pm
post #2 of 12

You can get an edible image (photo) made. You can order them online, or bring in a photo to most Wal-mart bakeries (or others that do them).
Then all you have to do is transfer the photo to the cake (it's done on very thin edible paper), and decorate around it.
They always look great.

doc_farms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doc_farms Posted 22 Jan 2007 , 11:41pm
post #3 of 12

An edible image would definitely be the way to go. You would just have to get her yearbook and scan it in somewhere and enlarge it to the size you would like to have it for the cake. Once that is done, print it out on a piece of paper and take that to the grocery store or cake store that will print it on the icing sheet for you. At the cake store I go to it is $7/sheet and at my local King Soopers it is $8/sheet.

Good luck and I can't wait to see it!

SugarBakerz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarBakerz Posted 22 Jan 2007 , 11:43pm
post #4 of 12

Just did this recently..Walmart does it for $5, but call ahead to make sure, some are funny about it... the online prices are crazy because of shipping concerns.... so if you have a walmart I would go there... unless you are a really good artist it would be super hard to transfer the image to FBC...

bunnypatchbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bunnypatchbaker Posted 22 Jan 2007 , 11:44pm
post #5 of 12

I had a mom that wanted her sons preschool graduation picture and high school graduation picture both put on a sheet cake and here is what I did. I took the originals and scanned them into my computer. I then printed out copies and took them to Staples and had them laminated. I then put those on top of the cake and decorated around the edges. I though it came out well and the mom was really pleased. It is in my photos if you want to check it out! Good luck! thumbs_up.gif

chaptlps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chaptlps Posted 23 Jan 2007 , 12:11am
post #6 of 12

There is only one prob with that though guys,
if it's a copyrighted pic ya'll can't get em done at wallymart or through the mail unless you have a signed release form. You can get those at the wallymart photocenter (not the portrait studio, but where they sell the cameras) Just ask for the copyright release form. Then you have to have the photographer fill it out and sign it for you. If you know someone personally who can do this for you that would be best.

SugarBakerz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarBakerz Posted 23 Jan 2007 , 12:17am
post #7 of 12

Another idea... in my photo gallery you will see a photo I posted today with a hank logo on it.. there are 2.. the most recent is the one I am talking about.... I took the picture and put it on top of a piece of fondant that I had cut with a cookie cutter... then I put contact paper over it.. basically lamination at home... I med sure to tell the customer that it wasn't edible.... I think it turned out pretty good.. you could do as bunnypatchbaker suggested and just copy the photos on your computer and print them out then use contact paper at the house.. I got a huge roll of it at hobby lobby for 2.99 today... good luck!

canoewoman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
canoewoman Posted 23 Jan 2007 , 12:21am
post #8 of 12

For a 50th anniversary cake I scanned their wedding picture, printed it out and then laminated it. I decorated around it just like the edible pictures and it turned our really nice and as a bonus they had a keepsake photo when the cake was done.(I cropped and enlarged the original so it wasn't the same one they already had)

bunnypatchbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bunnypatchbaker Posted 23 Jan 2007 , 12:25am
post #9 of 12

I realize that you can't take them to WalMart. I scanned on MY OWN personal computer and printed them out. I then took them to Staples. They will laminate them for you. You DO NOT have to have a release form to get something laminated.

chaptlps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chaptlps Posted 23 Jan 2007 , 12:32am
post #10 of 12

Hun I was referring to taking the photo and getting an edible image done of it. It is a copy of the original work and if money is exchanging hands for the image itself then that's where it gets prickly.
As for the laminating thing, you aren't paying for a copy of the image just a covering for said image.
Sorry if ya'll felt I was bustin yer chops.
I wasn't.
So, alls well that ends well I say. LOL
I actually think the laminating thing is an excellent idea!
Everyone is happy and the customer has a keepsake of the day.
kudos bunnie
I also wanted to interject here too, bunnie, we must've posted simultaneously because I didn't see your post as I was answering the original post.

JasonL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JasonL Posted 23 Jan 2007 , 2:35am
post #11 of 12

so just how long is the copyright good for, if this is her 50th bithday. I would venture to say that the copyright has run out. Just my guess.

RisqueBusiness Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RisqueBusiness Posted 23 Jan 2007 , 2:43am
post #12 of 12

you can also place the photo on top of some scrap booking paper and slip it into a plastic page protector and seal the top with tape..then you can go around it all with a nice tip border..

It'll look as if the photo has been framed and there is no need to beak laws or pay for expensive laminating ( I know it's not expensive..lol)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%