Those Little Stinkers!!!

Decorating By MaurorLess67 Updated 25 Oct 2011 , 2:42pm by TexasSugar

MaurorLess67 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MaurorLess67 Posted 23 Oct 2011 , 1:44pm
post #1 of 19

HOW DO YOU OPEN THE TINY LITTLE SUPER PEARL CONTAINERS???? I have ordered a few different dusts and I to this day have not been able to open my super pearl!!! UGH! And opening the other thimble sized containers was a disaster- icon_cry.gif

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! I'm so frustrated- hence the capital letters- ha!!!

Mo

18 replies
Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 23 Oct 2011 , 1:54pm
post #2 of 19

I use my side teeth..Yup..the side molars..sounds silly but it works without flinging it all over...

peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 23 Oct 2011 , 1:55pm
post #3 of 19

Get yourself an old fashioned bottle opener You know the kind that opens the old coke bottles or a beer bottle.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 23 Oct 2011 , 2:05pm
post #4 of 19

Im another one using my teeth icon_sad.gif
I know many will shiver at that but there is nothing else that worked! Even tried the bottleopener. It usually is no where to be found when you are wanting it! icon_sad.gif

cakeyouverymuch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeyouverymuch Posted 23 Oct 2011 , 2:38pm
post #5 of 19

Ladies! Ladies! Save your teeth! You need them for eating cake!

I have a couple of tools that I use to open those %$^* little bottles of which I had about a half dozen for about six months before I figured out how to get into them. I got an opener like this years ago when I bought a can of paint:

http://www.iflpromos.com/Bottle%20Opener%20IMNJ-BO-02%20Single%20Pic.jpg

Also, any of you old enough to remember pop cans without pull tabs (am I dating myself here? lol) will have (or have an older relative who has) one of these kicking around in a junk drawer or tool box somewhere:

http://www.crobike.de/en/werbemittel_bilder/promopeddler/14200/26195.jpg

Yes they're small enough to get lost, but they're also small enough to fit in with the Wilton tools. I keep mine on a string so it doesn't wander off on me. I keep one with my Wilton tools and one in the box with my food colors. If you don't have one lying around check your local dollar store or your local hardware store in the paint section.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 23 Oct 2011 , 2:59pm
post #6 of 19

Once open I put the dust in a clear mini container with a screw on lid. I use a label maker to label it and no more opening problems.

tarabara Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tarabara Posted 23 Oct 2011 , 3:54pm
post #7 of 19

So glad I'm not the only one who had this problem! I felt so guilty for using my teeth to open the line I just got. Will try the suggestions above and hopefully won't have to do that again....

luddroth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luddroth Posted 23 Oct 2011 , 4:05pm
post #8 of 19

Some of the vendors of the petal dusts also sell an opener -- looks just like an old-fashioned bottle opener. I keep it with the dusts and pearls and use it all the time. Works fine and my dentist approves!

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 24 Oct 2011 , 2:16am
post #9 of 19

I have an opener like the second one cakeyouverymuch showed. It has a magnet on the back so it hangs on the fridge where I can always find it.

Now, corkscrews are a whole 'nother story around here. I have four and can never find them.

chanielisalevy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chanielisalevy Posted 24 Oct 2011 , 2:34am
post #10 of 19

Since I keep a needle nose pliers in my decorating kitchen, I use them (NOT MY TEETH!) to open 'em up. Works like a dream.

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 24 Oct 2011 , 2:39am
post #11 of 19

Oh my goodness, use a bottle opener! Aside from the shivers that go up my spine when I think of using teeth to open those pesky containers... PLEASE don't put cake decorating supplies IN YOUR MOUTH! If I ever saw someone do that in my kitchen, I'd have a stroke! icon_smile.gif

Baker_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Baker_Rose Posted 24 Oct 2011 , 12:31pm
post #12 of 19

Oh yes, do NOT use your teeth!! I am sitting here with a dislocated jaw. I have been to the hospital and it only helped a little. My teeth don't line up and I can chew, nothing. I'm already sick of mashed potatoes and I'm dying for a ham and cheese on a onion bagel.

Don't use your teeth!!! You will miss them when they don't work for you.

Tami icon_sad.gif

..............................."eating" broth and poached fish for breakfast..........................

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 24 Oct 2011 , 2:09pm
post #13 of 19
MCurry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MCurry Posted 24 Oct 2011 , 2:18pm
post #14 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSugar

I used a bottle opener then put them all in containers like these. icon_smile.gif

http://www.michaels.com/Darice%C2%AE-Bead-Storage-System-with-30-Round-Containers/bd0974,default,pd.html?cgid=products&start=39

I really like these containers. Thanks for sharing TexasSugar!

TexasSugar Posted 24 Oct 2011 , 2:28pm
post #15 of 19

You are welcome. I want to say they cost $10 at Michaels, but I used coupons on them. I also like how they come in a plastic box, so I put my petal dusts in one box and my luster dust in another box, so I get to do less searching for the colors I wanted.

I did take a thin point sharpie and wrote the color names on the bottom of the containers.

icon_smile.gif

MCurry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MCurry Posted 24 Oct 2011 , 4:22pm
post #16 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSugar

You are welcome. I want to say they cost $10 at Michaels, but I used coupons on them. I also like how they come in a plastic box, so I put my petal dusts in one box and my luster dust in another box, so I get to do less searching for the colors I wanted.

I did take a thin point sharpie and wrote the color names on the bottom of the containers.

icon_smile.gif

Love the coupons from Michaels!

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 24 Oct 2011 , 10:37pm
post #17 of 19

I use containers similar to these http://www.widgetsupply.com/page/WS/PROD/bead-storage/SHH2-87447BB I think there were 6 in pk for $2 at a local craft store.

poohsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poohsmomma Posted 24 Oct 2011 , 11:02pm
post #18 of 19

Texas Sugar, I just picked up one of those sets of jars at Michael's today for $6.99. Came home and loaded them up with all those dusts. Love being able to find things!

TexasSugar Posted 25 Oct 2011 , 2:42pm
post #19 of 19

They are just the right size aren't they Pooh?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%