Trouble With Fondant

Decorating By Lorabell Updated 21 Oct 2011 , 1:33pm by Lorabell

Lorabell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lorabell Posted 20 Oct 2011 , 11:34pm
post #1 of 5

Are any of you having trouble with Fondx Elite? The issue I am having is, even after adding tylose, I cannot get it to harden like it should. I've had the same issue with fondarific.

What fondant do you recommend, especially black and red?

Also, I've not ever seen it, but can you get gumpaste in colors?

Thanks,
Lori

4 replies
BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 21 Oct 2011 , 12:40am
post #2 of 5

FondX Elite, Fondarific, & Duff's fondant are all candy melt based. They contain much, much more fat than regular fondants.
They don't respond to the addition of tylose or other gums in the same way. They don't dry the same way.

Rae

Lorabell Posted 21 Oct 2011 , 1:23am
post #3 of 5

Thanks Rae,

I wondered that...because of the addition of chocolate. What fondant do you feel works the best?

Lori

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 21 Oct 2011 , 1:29am
post #4 of 5

I use Satin Ice & FondX most of the time. I find that both taste good and are the least expensive for me.

I always keep some Wilton fondant on hand, just in case my SI or FondX "acts up" by being too soft. I then add in 1/3rd to 1/2 Wilton and everything is good to go.

Rae

Lorabell Posted 21 Oct 2011 , 1:33pm
post #5 of 5

Hi and thanks again! I have been using fondx and have been happy with it, but the shop where I buy it started carrying the fondx elite...I don't really like it. I have the black and I swear it smells like grape, but there is no grape anywhere on the ingredient list.

Thanks,
Lori

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%