Price Per Serving For Ball Pan??

Decorating By forheavenscake Updated 21 Oct 2011 , 1:09pm by forheavenscake

forheavenscake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
forheavenscake Posted 20 Oct 2011 , 10:59pm
post #1 of 7

I need a little input. . .I'm not sure how to price out this cake. The ball pan feeds roughly 15 (from I've read), but it uses the same amount of batter as you would use for two 8" rounds (again, so I've read). . .so do I charge for 15 servings or for 20-24?

6 replies
paula0712 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paula0712 Posted 20 Oct 2011 , 11:32pm
post #2 of 7

hmm I might be wrong, but I always thought it makes enough for 12 servings - 6 for each half. When I make it, I just use 1 cake mix, which is always enough for 12 servings according to Wilton's other 1 layer pans, I just split it between the 2 halves. Interesting to hear other answers, I could be charging less than I should be...

forheavenscake Posted 21 Oct 2011 , 12:47am
post #3 of 7

When you say 1 cake mix. . what are you referring to? Because if I use an actual box mix, it fills two 8 inch pans which serves 20-24?

Ahhh. .I'm so confused!!! LOL

cakeyouverymuch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeyouverymuch Posted 21 Oct 2011 , 1:37am
post #4 of 7

If you're talking about the 3D spports ball pan, each pan half takes 2.5 cups of batter. One six inch pan (2 inch deep) takes 2 cups of batter, so a two layer six inch tier would be a little smaller than a complete ball cake. The ball cake takes 5 cups of batter, the six inch tier takes 4 cups. The ball cake is 25% bigger than the six inch so, if the six inch serves 12 then the ball should serve 15, but I think you'd have a hard time cutting it to make that many servings. HTH

paula0712 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paula0712 Posted 21 Oct 2011 , 2:04am
post #5 of 7

LOL very confusing! The wilton 1 mix pans (ie character pans) say on the label that they only take a 1 box mix, but they all say 12 servings. That's what I've always based my servings on for the ball pan since it takes 1 mix for both halves. I agree with cakeyouverymuch - I would still only charge for the 12 anyway, as it would be difficult to cut that into 15.

cakeyouverymuch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeyouverymuch Posted 21 Oct 2011 , 2:14am
post #6 of 7

I might charge for the 15 servings anyway as a PITA premium. I've only done the ball once and covering it with fondant wasn't an entirely successful experience.

forheavenscake Posted 21 Oct 2011 , 1:09pm
post #7 of 7

haha. . .this does sound like a PITA!! Goodness. . .Well I guess I'll just wing it! I think what I may do is charge as a whole with 20 servings. . .that will cover all the extra gumpaste pieces and detail going on top of it (normally those would be extra). . .maybe that'll cover the whole thing.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%