Cheer For The Cure Disaster - Cakes Cracking!!!

Decorating By deetmar Updated 21 Oct 2011 , 12:35am by kakeladi

deetmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deetmar Posted 20 Oct 2011 , 9:26pm
post #1 of 4

I was asked to make a cake for a group of cheerleaders that are raising money for Breast Cancer Research. They are holding mini cheer camps for young girls all over the state. I found the perfect cake, asked permission to borrow the idea and for any tips.

The person was fantastic and said it was relatively simple and just go for it. Well, it's not the simple, I was second guessing myself the entire time. Now the cake is split in two and I am just sick. I want to start over and I keep asking my husband for help or ideas, of course there is baseball on so that trumps all.

I don't know how to keep the front cake from falling over, any ideas? I first started with each cake on it's own board, then took them out so it was cake on cake. It is cracking and falling apart every where. I decided to put a board on the front then dowel it down to hold the cake from falling over, now it looks awful.

Help!

original cake by skaemastas

3 replies
Brevity Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brevity Posted 20 Oct 2011 , 9:41pm
post #2 of 4

Can you describe, or post a picture of what you're attempting? ...I would love to help troubleshoot, but need more info.

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 21 Oct 2011 , 12:05am
post #3 of 4

Are you making a tiered cake? And have the two tiers of cake with no boards or supports inside? That'll do it! Each cake (you can stack up to 4" for a nice tall tier before you need support) needs a board underneath and some sort of dowelling under that to keep it upright. (Think floors and studs in a house).

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 21 Oct 2011 , 12:35am
post #4 of 4

It is very hard to try to help you with the little information you have given us so far. Please be more descriptive and if possible post a pic or two so we can help.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%