How Do I Make Small Flowers?

Decorating By DeeDeesCakeNStuff Updated 28 Oct 2011 , 4:29pm by Unlimited

DeeDeesCakeNStuff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeeDeesCakeNStuff Posted 19 Oct 2011 , 9:22pm
post #1 of 9

Do I make them on wax paper? When I try that and let them dry they never dry really hard and when I go to take them off the paper and put them on the cake they fall apart. Am I dong something wrong? Also another time when I piped them and tried to raise away, the flower would just pull up with the tip. What am I doing wrong?

8 replies
cakegrandma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegrandma Posted 19 Oct 2011 , 9:52pm
post #2 of 9

Exactly what medium are you using? If you are using RI then put them on foil and set them on a cookie sheet in the oven. Turn the light on and leave for about 24 hours so they can dry hard. Some thick based flowers may take a little longer to dry. If you are speaking of buttercream flowers they do not dry all the way through normally. If you have roses and you want to make them ahead put them in the freezer and when you are ready to use them, transfer them quickly with scissors. I hope this helps with what you are asking.
evelyn

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 19 Oct 2011 , 10:03pm
post #3 of 9

I do agree that it helps to know what kind of icing you are working with. Also what kind of flower.

I never put my buttercream flowers in the freezer though. I have left them air dry on wax paper and not have a problem for most flowers. You just have to leave them out in the air for a few days.

KatsSuiteCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KatsSuiteCakes Posted 19 Oct 2011 , 10:29pm
post #4 of 9

If you're using Buttercream, it's easier to pipe the smaller flowers directly onto the cake. Try thinning your buttercream in small stages to prevent them from pulling away. The consistency of your icing will vary depending on whether you're making roses, leaves, lettering and other flowers and I found by trial and error (mostly error) what works best for each design.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 19 Oct 2011 , 10:59pm
post #5 of 9

You can make drop flowers & swirled dropflowers on plastic wrap with Wilton's class b'cream icing.
It crusts well - just use 1 cup shortening with 1 pound of powdered sugar and a bit of liquid until you get a mediumn consistency.
Yes, dropflowers can be made directly on the cake but swirled one are much hardeer to do on the cake.

DeeDeesCakeNStuff Posted 19 Oct 2011 , 11:14pm
post #6 of 9

I'm using buttercream. So if I understand right you have to wait at least two days for them to harden enough before you use them on your cake?

Unlimited Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Unlimited Posted 20 Oct 2011 , 2:58am
post #7 of 9

What kind of flowers?

If you're making BC rosesYes, they'll probably need at least a couple days to air dry.

If you're making BC drop flowers, I think it's best to pipe directly on the cake. (Sounds like your icing might be a little too stiff, if it sticks to the tip. You shouldn't have that problem when piping on the cakejust on the waxed paper. If it continuestry thinning the icing a bit, and it doesn't hurt to press the tip back down in the center of the flower until it sticks to the surface before lifting your pastry bag away.)

If you're set on making drop flowers in advance, it's best to use RI. This will allow easier transfer with less breakage.

DeeDeesCakeNStuff Posted 28 Oct 2011 , 3:12pm
post #8 of 9

If I use royal icing than no one will eat it right? From what I understand it gets really hard and no one likes it. Is that correct?

Unlimited Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Unlimited Posted 28 Oct 2011 , 4:29pm
post #9 of 9

Royal icing doesn't taste good. Most adults won't typically eat candy-hard decorations probably for fear of breaking a tooth, but kids will.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%