Help With Putting Fall Leaves On 5 Tier Wedding Cake.

Decorating By aviles2005 Updated 3 Nov 2011 , 2:17am by Kellbella

aviles2005 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aviles2005 Posted 19 Oct 2011 , 3:36am
post #1 of 16

Hey,I'm making a 5 tier wedding cake with fall gumpaste leaves running down the side of it. The cake is buttercream and I didn't wire all my leaves. I was hoping to just stick them on with buttercream and some are wired. Will this hold up ok? I'm starting to get concerned.. Might they just start falling off the cake at the reception... What's your input...
Please help icon_smile.gif thanks

Attached is a sample of the cake but leaves are pinned on the cake dummy

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b137/aviles2005/IMG_0456.jpg

15 replies
aviles2005 Posted 19 Oct 2011 , 3:14pm
post #2 of 16

should i not do it this way?

aviles2005 Posted 20 Oct 2011 , 11:55am
post #3 of 16

No replys... Must be a dumb question

Price Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Price Posted 20 Oct 2011 , 12:15pm
post #4 of 16

Last year I decorated a cake with fall leaves for my neice's wedding. I used buttercream to attach the leaves and they held up well. My leaves were smaller than the leaves in your picture though.

tripleD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tripleD Posted 20 Oct 2011 , 12:19pm
post #5 of 16

I use fondant leaves on buttercream often. Let base cake icing set a little put fresh butter cream on back of leave and press into cake. Good luck.

MCurry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MCurry Posted 20 Oct 2011 , 12:31pm
post #6 of 16

Not a dumb question - It must have gotten lost other questions posted. I have done wires and sticking leaves in the past. However, I glued them on with vanilla extract with fondant covered cakes. The only caution on a fondant cake is when the cake was cut the leaves needed to be pulled off and caused a few tears ( I know b/c I was the cake cutter and attended the wedding). If you are using buttercream consider both methods so you can make sure the ones on the sides of the cake stay and can support others with buttercream dabbed on the bottom. You can also consider wiring several leaves together and spreading them apart once placed on the cake to reduce the amount of wires too. Good luck!

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 20 Oct 2011 , 1:14pm
post #7 of 16

I have a wedding cake that I will have to do this for next week. I am going to use melted chocolate to attach mine. I have had really good luck using chocolate in the past. icon_biggrin.gif

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 20 Oct 2011 , 2:27pm
post #8 of 16

I prefer using melted chocolate, too. Be sure to tint your chocolate orange so if it shows, it's not noticeable.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 20 Oct 2011 , 2:42pm
post #9 of 16

I'm sorry it took so long to get replies for your ?. Of course it was/is NOT a dumb ?.
The suggestions of b'cream or melted choco are great. I pipe an open circle of b'cream on any piece I want to adhear to a b'cream cake. The open circle creates a bit of suction so it help hold it on better.

jjkarm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jjkarm Posted 20 Oct 2011 , 4:15pm
post #10 of 16

I would use melted white chocolate or buttercream. The chocolate is definitely stronger and sets up very quickly. If your leaves are heavy at all... then I'd use white chocolate.

I used buttercream on a cake that was decorated with thin gumpaste leaves. The buttercream gave me a little more time to shift and play around with the placement of the leaves before it dried.
Here's a photo: http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1493689

aviles2005 Posted 21 Oct 2011 , 1:13pm
post #11 of 16

Thank you so much for the ideas..
I was just going to use SmBC but
Now I'm thinking I will use white chocolate.
Great idea icon_smile.gif I'll post back n let you know how it goes.. Ill be working on it all day. I'm very excited to see the final cake

aviles2005 Posted 22 Oct 2011 , 5:02am
post #12 of 16

so i Just finished the cake. I ended up using white chocolate. I think its definitly going to hold. I AM SOOOOOO Tired!!!
THE CAKE CAME OUT Great! Not 100% happy with the leaves and formation of them but here is a pic..

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 22 Oct 2011 , 12:24pm
post #13 of 16

It came out GREAT!!!! I love your leaves!

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 22 Oct 2011 , 12:34pm
post #14 of 16

You did a beautiful job on your cake. well done!!!!!

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 22 Oct 2011 , 1:13pm
post #15 of 16

BEAUTIFUL!!

Kellbella Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kellbella Posted 3 Nov 2011 , 2:17am
post #16 of 16

Rockin awesome cake!!! You should do a tutoiral on how you did the leaves!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%