Help Smoothing Icing

Decorating By Kakes1Treats Updated 24 Oct 2011 , 7:39pm by Shank69

Kakes1Treats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kakes1Treats Posted 19 Oct 2011 , 2:23am
post #1 of 10

Can someone tell me how i can get a smooth coat of icing on the top and sides of my cakes?

9 replies
WeezyS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
WeezyS Posted 19 Oct 2011 , 2:34am
post #2 of 10

http://www.designmeacake.com/id48.html

Go to this site, this is an excellant tutorial on icing a cake.

ConfectionsCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ConfectionsCC Posted 19 Oct 2011 , 2:40am
post #3 of 10

http://www.sugaredproductions.com/

The free online tutorials are really really good. BUt, I learned more on buttercream after watching one DVD from Sugarshack than I had from all the youtube videos online. She does a great job on showing step by step how to get a smooth cake, and explains why these techniques work. It is very informative, and although it seems like a lot for a DVD (in comparison to any movie you buy in walmart) it really is a great deal, and investment into your hobby or business!!

ctackett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ctackett Posted 19 Oct 2011 , 2:42am
post #4 of 10

I let it set up in the fridge then, dip my small spatula in just a little water, not a lot then lightly go over the icing with it or use a spray bottle you just want very little though too much will ruin your icing

WeezyS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
WeezyS Posted 19 Oct 2011 , 2:46am
post #5 of 10

I also have the sugarshack dvd on perfecting the art of buttercream.

I agree, it is very good and worth every penny.

I just wanted to post a tutorial to help at the moment, but would also recommend getting this dvd. icon_smile.gif

bakingkat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingkat Posted 19 Oct 2011 , 2:46am
post #6 of 10

Go to jessicakes blog, she has a great video on the upside down method. Its the best way to get nice sharp edges. Also she has a little story on the aussie method, I havent tried that one yet, but it looks genius.

SarahB52 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SarahB52 Posted 19 Oct 2011 , 5:18pm
post #7 of 10

An easy way to smooth icing is to let it set-up or harden a bit if you will. Take a piece of Viva paper towel or parchment paper and lay it on top of the cake gently rubbing. The heat from your hands will smooth out any imperfections. Be aware that if you rub to long in one spot it will melt the frosting and stick to the towel or parchment.

I really hope this helps. It works really well and is probably the best thing my wilton teacher taugh me other than how to get an even cake WITHOUT cutting it icon_smile.gif

Kakes1Treats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kakes1Treats Posted 21 Oct 2011 , 2:29am
post #8 of 10

Thank you all!!!

ctackett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ctackett Posted 23 Oct 2011 , 5:04pm
post #9 of 10

Also i discovered another way. I take a styrofoam plate, cut it in half making sure the edges are cut straight and smooth. I used this to smooth out the icing on the cake, it is so easy and convenients

Shank69 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shank69 Posted 24 Oct 2011 , 7:39pm
post #10 of 10

Great information. Thanks everyone for sharing.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%