Diamond Pattern Question Again..

Decorating By TickleMySweetTooth Updated 19 Oct 2011 , 8:31pm by Marianna46

TickleMySweetTooth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TickleMySweetTooth Posted 17 Oct 2011 , 5:47am
post #1 of 6

Hey all!
Thanks again for all your help before.
I made myself a large angled triangle thing like someone had posted.
It worked great!.. well with the square cake that is.
I struggled A LOT with the round cake.. what was I doing wrong? I tried holding like I did with square cake.. no way it was working for me. I made from very flexible cardboard(a cake box) so that was not the issue. I just could not get it to work like it did on the square. ended up free handing it.. and ended up with a lot of crooked lines/triangles.

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2182062 (pic here if you wanted to see)

5 replies
Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 19 Oct 2011 , 3:59am
post #2 of 6

I never thought of this before. On a round cake you have a curved surface where on a square cake you have a flat one. How do you suppose people make thos nice evenly spaced lines on a round cake? Suggestions from anybody with experience?

cakelady2266 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelady2266 Posted 19 Oct 2011 , 4:17am
post #3 of 6

I've done the diamond imprint many times on different shape cakes and I did it several different ways. There is a diamond impression mat which is plastic and cost about $5, it's approximately 4 x 10 so it covers a lot of area. It works great but it doesn't always meet up correctly when you go all around, so that will be the back of the cake now. You can also use a diamond shape cookie cutter, available in a variety of sizes.

Marianna46 Posted 19 Oct 2011 , 4:49am
post #4 of 6

Ah, thanks, cakelady2266. I've never made a cake like this, but I've wanted to for the longest time. When I tried the technique with the diamond shaped cutter (actually, the one I have is three vertical diamonds), the pattern isn't incised evenly. It's shallower on the sides than in the middle. Should I rock the cutter back and forth or is there some other way to get it to come out right? I would be doing this on fondant, not on buttercream, by the way.

cakelady2266 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelady2266 Posted 19 Oct 2011 , 5:26pm
post #5 of 6

You will probably have to rock it back and forth on fondant. I've only done it on buttercream.

Marianna46 Posted 19 Oct 2011 , 8:31pm
post #6 of 6

Thanks, cakelady2266. I'm hoping to try this out on a cake in the near future. Actually, I'm trying to put together a portfolio of dummy wedding cakes to send around to prospective clients, and I'd like to include several different techniques - stencilling, lace molds, billows and so on (you notice I never mention piping - I'm buttercream-challenged), and I just love cakes with this finish.

TickleMySweetTooth, I forgot to say that I thought your cake was lovely, even if you weren't totally happy about it. I only hope I can do as well.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%