Do You Have A Back Up Plan?

Decorating By cakelady2266 Updated 14 Oct 2011 , 12:20pm by Chellescakes

cakelady2266 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelady2266 Posted 14 Oct 2011 , 4:04am
post #1 of 6

The MOB ask me that the other day. What if something happens, you get hurt, sick or someone dies. I assured her I have always delivered on what was ordered. I've worked plenty of times sick, injured. So it got me to thinking what would I do if something really horrific happened. Who would I turn to for back up?

Do any of you have a "back up baker" to call on in the event of a tragedy? How do you make that happen?

5 replies
Skidoochic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Skidoochic Posted 14 Oct 2011 , 4:27am
post #2 of 6

I sort of do -but I am a hobby baker. My friend also does cakes and we back each other up. She has only asked me once. I had to ask her to help me with a wedding cake. A week before the cake was due, I broke my elbow. I couldn't even move a cake pan let alone take a cake out of the oven! Then I had therapy and it took YEARS to get the stregnth and function back in my elbow.

So- I say it is pretty important to build a relationship with someone you trust, to back you up just in
case. icon_smile.gif

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 14 Oct 2011 , 4:35am
post #3 of 6

I just started a home based business but I am a member of a cake club and every so often we get an email to the club with an SOS from a sick member who needs someone to cover an order. I think cake clubs are a great way to meet other bakers who will have your back if you get desparate. It's important that you find people who have a similar skill set and similar pricing so everyone feels it was fair.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 14 Oct 2011 , 6:07am
post #4 of 6

I have some cake club fans that might be able to help, but it would be pure luck to have them be free enough to do much.

I'd do everything I could to get the planned cake to the customer, but in the end, it would most likely result in a trip by DH to Costco and a refund icon_rolleyes.gif

Can't exactly have a duplicate just waiting around, so that would be the best I could do.

Rae

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 14 Oct 2011 , 9:17am
post #5 of 6

I have another bakery as backup. We refer to each other and can be backups.

I did get really sick last year on the night I had two charity event cakes due. I called around to get grocery store cakes, but my three girls (26, 24, 17), with only moderate baking experience, got me a chair and a mask away from the cake area and I gave exact instructions. The cakes were perfect.

Chellescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chellescakes Posted 14 Oct 2011 , 12:20pm
post #6 of 6

I have the members of our cake association for back up. The call goes out and we rally and get the work done. If one of our members is sick we always ask what cakes do they have on order. We always ensure that a bride is never left in the lurch. It really does take a lot of pressure off knowing that you do have back up .

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%